1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best Thanksgiving dish you ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Spent Thanksgiving 1999 in Paris. Watched French morning TV make fun of stupid Americans and their traditions. Believe I ate rabbit that night somewhere in the Latin Quarter. It wasn't the best, but it was the most unique.

My grandma used to make some bad-ass turkey when I was younger. Dark meat, please!

I need someone to offer advice on where to eat in Orlando for Thanksgiving this year as I'll be there for the Old Spice Classic.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If you do this, I'm so coming over. It sounds DELICIOUS. Back when we used to host Christmas dinner at our house, my dad did something similar. Instead of doing a traditional meal (because by that point, we were all traditional-ed out), he did a non-traditional meal. Mexican, Italian, barbecue, steaks, etc. (Not all at once, though.) Never had any complaints about it.

3. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I can't really rate the best, but the worst, hands down, was my dad's attempt at oyster stuffing. Holy shit did it suck. It went over about as well as his barbecue soup. Don't ask.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would much rather a mexican platter than typical Thanksgiving food.

5. Mizzougrad96

At a family function about 20 years ago one of my aunts brought Green bean casserole. It smelled so bad, we were all passing it around the table to get it away from us.

Then one of my cousins said, "I'm just going to throw it directly into the toilet and eliminate the middle man."

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

How many places to eat in your area serve a good roasted turkey meal for under 10 bucks?

Plus, I cannot cook Mexican food as well as the 100 or so Mexican food places in my area. If there was a roasted turkey place on every corner, then I would agree, but I can eat Mexican food in almost every shitburg in America for 10 bucks. Why eat it again on Thanksgiving?

If you don't like turkey, roast a ham or a lamb (much pricier) for your guests. If I cannot carve it, I don't want it on on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Sorry for the rant, CB.

It is cool to do what you are doing, in my opinion, if the people are getting their turkey on another day.

7. 93Devil

Actually, CB, the more I think about it, what you are doing is very smart because two turkey feasts in one week is a little much.

But inviting people over on Thanksgiving Day and not having turkey and replacing it with an unannounced meal of anything other than turkey, to me, is wrong.

8. 93Devil

And if you are willing to spend the money and are a good cook...

Lamb

You should be able to get it at Costco or BJs and any decent mom and pop butcher.

9. Mizzougrad96

For me, Thanksgiving is turkey and stuffing.

Nothing else assuming all of the sides are typical Thanksgiving sides. I hate mashed potatoes. Sweet potatoes are OK, but I don't go out of my way to eat them. Most of the casserole type crap that people make is fucking disgusting.

10. Mizzougrad96

This times 1,000.

Back when I was usually covering hoops tournaments over Thanksgiving, I went to a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for their Thanksgiving buffet. They had Prime Rib and Lamb out as part of the spread...

That was a damn good meal.

11. 93Devil

My mom stuffs the bird with homemade stuffing with a base of mushroom soup, but I have heard this is a great way to get food poisoning, so I have made a cornbread stuffing with sausage in an iron skillet instead.

You hate mashed potatoes? Really? That must be a small club.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for that green bean-cream of mushroom soup standard, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted