1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best Thanksgiving dish you ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Nov 16, 2011.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Watched a cooking show today — while Miss L was home for lunch, thank you — and the big-boned chick cooked an uncured ham. Looked kinda disgusting as she was preparing it, but my god it made my mouth water just looking at the finished product. We might try that for Christmas dinner instead of the pre-cooked spiral ham we did last year.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The big boned chick? Seriously?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

HC, if that recipe makes Brussels sprouts taste like anything but Brussels sprouts, it's a winner.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Nah, you'd have to add too much salt to cut the sweetness. Or so I've heard.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Yep. No Giada De Laurentiis, she.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yikes!

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've done the fried turkey thing several times in my old crawfish pot. It's mucho delicioso, but it can be a huge mess, and if it's raining, forget it, because it's definitely something you have to do outside on the porch or in the garage, which I don't have.

As for the best Thanksgiving meal, my dad went out to Kansas one time on a pheasant hunt and brought back several birds that my mom cooked up in a mushroom sauce.

I usually do a turkey for Thanksgiving and a spiral-cut ham for Christmas.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How have we come this far without Moddy creaming over mac and cheese....

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

We did the turducken a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. A sausage stuffing separated each layer of fowl. Delicious. IIRC, I just baked it according to the instructions. No problem. Slicing the boneless tri-bird was far easier than carving a turkey.

I make a dish similar to this, but heat the cream first with some garlic, thyme and nutmeg. Layers of potato and cheddar cheese, with salt and pepper on each layer. It's probably in the "once every two weeks" rotation. Again: delicious.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If gravy perfection is achieved, the dinner is going to be grand.

The gravy has to have depth of flavor while at the same time embodying the very essence roasted turkey umami waiting at the bottom of the roasting pan.

That golden-brown elixer can salvage even a dry bird, lumpy mashed potatoes or bland stuffing.

Nothing, however, can save that candied sweet potato / marshmallow mess brought by my loud and pushy aunt.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's a great addition. I believe I'm going to try that next Thursday. Thanks.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Gravy just covers up dry turkey...if you brine bath a turkey for 8-10 hours...you don't need a drop of that fatty shit.

And my aunt's sweet potato casserole is the bomb-diggity

Draft saved Draft deleted