1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best shows of the 2000s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pa writer, Jul 14, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that is part of it. Having so many networks creates more opportunities for shows that might have never seen the light of day but turn out to be outstanding. To use one of the shows on my list, I don't think there is any chance that a re-imagined Battlestar Galactica would have made it on air without the Sci-Fi Channel or something like it.

Also, the networks have to work harder to keep viewers. I think that helps inspire competition, which helps to make for better shows.

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Don't like me, huh?

[​IMG]

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed on No Reservations, especially the Beirut episode. I'd add The Universe, Origins and Mythbusters, but that may just be my geekery shining through.

I haven't seen more than a few of the shows people are suggesting, but big ups to Z-Man for mentioning Spaced. Not sure about the rest of my list, but it would include Firefly, Arrested Development and House.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love Bourdain. His writing trailed off badly after his first book, but he's clearly found his niche on the tube. Great fun.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sorry . . . I prefer comics who largely generate their own material.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let me join the shameless Bourdain fanboifest. That guy is so much cooler than I could ever hope to be.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My love for the best of South Park is unsurpassed. What drives
    me nuts is how uneven the output is . . . and it's sad that it's
    clearly faltered badly in the last couple of seasons.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

1. Arrested Development
    2. Lost
    3. The Wire
    4. Mad Men
    5. Curb
    6. Flight of the Conchords
    7. 30 Rock
    8. The Office
    9. Veronica Mars
    10. South Park

AD and Lost astound me with the continuity and they way they set up jokes/reveals years in advance sometimes. I can't get enough Flight of the Conchords and Veronica Mars was one of those shows not enough people watched.

I never got into The Sopranos for some reason. I was tempted to put True Blood on my list, but I'll wait until they've done at least two full seasons.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I didn't know Carlos Mencia starred in those shows.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hell, I'll throw it out there ... The Venture Brothers.
    Easily one of the best (if not the best) animated shows of the decade. Multi-layered plots that are worked into jokes and scenes several episodes later, spot-on satire of the whole superhero/adventure genre, and just whiz-bang funny all the way around.
    Any show that can tell an intricate two-season long story of the love triangle between a guy in a butterfly costume, a guy with invisible limbs and a gruff-speaking but attractive woman -- and then shift gears and include a joke about an invisible dick all in the span of 30 minutes gets my vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted