1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best shows of the 2000s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pa writer, Jul 14, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

For those who love Gilmore Girls and Friday Night Lights, Alexis Bledel (GG) and Zach Gilford (FNL) are going to be starring opposite each other in a movie coming out in August called Post-Grad. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/postgrad/. I trust Fox Searchlight as they've put out a murderer's row of movies during the past couple years and I'm hoping this one gets as good a buzz as "500 Days of Summer" is currently getting.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've seen so many promos for 'The Closer' and 'Saving Grace' I feel like I've been watching the shows for a decade.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this movie. It looks so good.

I know! If you watch either TNT or TBS on any sort of a regular basis, they pimp these shows like effing crazy. Hawthorne, the new show with Jada Pinkett Smith, is also being advertised fairly heavily.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It doesn't hurt that the material hits quite close to home for me right now.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sopranos
    Weeds
    30 Rock
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Friday Night Lights
    House
    Monk
    Californication

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Best on pay cable:

Deadwood
    The Wire
    The Sopranos

Best on basic cable:

Mad Men

Best primetime, over-the-air series in a long, long time:

House

Yeah, I like Weeds. It's by no means great, but it's better than a poke in the eye.

Your witness.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    The Shield
    Those are my three favorites.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My top 10 in no particular order:

Mad Men
    Friday Night Lights
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    The Office (US)
    The West Wing
    The Shield
    Lost
    30 Rock
    and my sleeper: Burn Notice

I've watched Arrested Development and I found it to be more witty than funny, like a live action cartoon. I enjoy it, but still don't see its greatness.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm going to get ripped. I agree on the big ones. Hard to argue against Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men. FNL, yes. Ditto Breaking Bad and Weeds. I never got into The Shield, Deadwood and Lost and I wasn't a fan of Arrested Development. Have the Freaks and Geeks box set and love it. I'm a fan of Ricky Gervais but didn't like The UK Office and not a fan of the U.S. one either.

I'll get trashed but two series that I couldn't get enough of: John from Cincinnati and The 4400. Have both on DVD. JfC was cursed just because it debuted after the Sopranos were listening to Don't Stop Believin' at the diner.

o-<

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

TV is better than movies. That is not even up for debate right now.

I am amazed that South Park has not been mentioned yet. Most underappreciated show of my lifetime.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

South Park is one of the greatest shows of all-time.

It also started in 1997.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Sopranos started in 1999.

It's nitpicking. When the show had its fastball is what's important.

Draft saved Draft deleted