1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best movie opening scene...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 11, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the James Bond series deserves mention for opening a movie with a flourish.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I threw this on another thread, but I've always like the opening to Baseketball:

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have a new favorite opening. Saving Private Ryan.
    With the big-titted granddaughters.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Friggin' love that Jacobi opening. Great movie from start to finish. I'll also second the opening of "Star Wars". For those of you that grew up with ILM special effects, it's hard to explain how overwhelming that was to a 17 year old sitting in the first row of the West Van Odeon.

And sentimental fool that I am, I have to add the opening scene of "The Sound of Music". That long, long helicopter tracking shot as the music builds and finds Maria in the middle of a mountain meadow as she breaks into song always gets me.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, true. I just found it amusing that my choices were "Citizen Kane" and "Night of the Living Dead."

And to be completely honest, this is my favorite, and I can damn near quote it from memory:

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Those are some pretty nice granddaughters.

7. My favorite beginning: Bow-chicka wow waaaaaw.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Gangs of New York deserves a mention. And I'll also give a nod to Miller's Crossing.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Can't believe I forgot -- easily the most stupid, over-the-top, implausible, gorey, and yet somehow totally awesomely awesometastic opening scene to what becomes, truly, a streak of shit on film: Ghost Ship.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Touch of Evil" - the mother of all tracking shots through Tijuana. A classic. Charlton Heston with a dirty sanchez, and Orson Welles as, well, a fat sleazy bastard.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm now flogging myself for forgetting Miller's Crossing. To make up for it, I think I'll watch it now.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ugh...that was nasty...and what followed was unwatchable for different reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted