1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best movie opening scene...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Jims242

Jims242 Member

" I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her never to dishonor her family. She found a boyfriend; not an Italian. She went to the movies with him; she stayed out late. I didn't protest. Two months ago, he took her for a drive, with another boyfriend. They made her drink whiskey. And then they tried to take advantage of her. She resisted. She kept her honor. So they beat her, like an animal. When I went to the hospital, her nose was a'broken. Her jaw was a'shattered, held together by wire. She couldn't even weep because of the pain. But I wept. Why did I weep? She was the light of my life beautiful girl. Now she will never be beautiful again. I went to the police, like a good American. These two boys were brought to trial. The judge sentenced them to three years in prison - suspended sentence. Suspended sentence! They went free that very day! I stood in the courtroom like a fool. And those two bastards, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, for justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

Nuff said.

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

Should've known you'd beat me to it. You tryin' to give me the high hat? You got a lip on you, kid, but considering it was your recommendation on this board that prompted me to see it several years ago, I guess it's only appropriate you got first dibs.

Among those openings not yet mentioned, I kinda dig Cool Hand Luke and the parking meters...

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Boom. I was wondering when someone was going to mention this.

Jaws was a good start. I've never been a fan of Scorsese, and The Departed was by far his most unimpressive work. SPR's start is icredible.

And whoever said Children of Men was overrated is spot on. One of the dullest movies ever. I've seen personal hygiene films that were more entertaining.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Shampoo" with Warren Beatty.

Opening scene, he's in bed with Lee Grant, looking for her lost earring. Closing scene, he finds the ear ring, but wishes he hadn't, and it ties the entire movie together, like Robert Jordan in the pines at the start and finish of "A Farewell to Arms."

5. Troy had a pretty awesome opening scene

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The beginning of Sleepless In Seattle
    [/woman]

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

X-Men 2 started out awesome for me. The Nightcrawler scene kicked ass before the movie started its downward spiral

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Boogie Nights long tracking shot at the club; Swordfish; Patton.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I almost hate to post this, because it might sound like I'm minimizing D-Day, but Saving Private Ryan's opening scene must be viewed in HD and with a good surround system.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Alien. Long tracking shot sets a nice tone.

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

11. Just saw Miller's Crossing for the first time last night.

Great call, Jones.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Highbrow selection: "Citizen Kane," with it's slow tracking shot over the fence with the "No Trespassing" sign into Songbird.

Lowbrow selection: "Night of the Living Dead," in the cemetery - "He's coming to get you, Barbara!"

I'll echo the "Raising Arizona" mention. "Big Lebowski," too. The Coen brothers have consistently great openings.

Draft saved Draft deleted