1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best movie opening scene...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I'm more partial to the sequence set to the coda of "Layla" with the bodies of Jimmy's crew turning up all over the city...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially on Star Wars. It doesn't punch you in the gut like Saving Private Ryan, but when I read this question, the very first thing that popped into my head was that first shot of the Star Destroyer just after the opening scroll.

Edit: Good call on Jaws, statrat. Every time I see it, I remember the story my mother told me about that movie. She and my father went to a sneak preview with absolutely no idea what the movie was about. I can only imagine how chilling that scene must have been in that context.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Every time I hear "Layla," thats what I think of.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

If SPR started with the beach, great. Instead, it starts with that fucking old man and his big-titted granddaughters and his wife's furrowed brow.

Fuck those fucking bookends make me so fucking mad.

Ahem. Sorry.

Anyway, the opening of Miller's Crossing -- "Ethics!" -- is fantastic, as is the rest of the movie, because it's the greatest movie ever made.

5. The first five minutes of Blade! One of the best opening fight scenes I can ever recall seeing.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Once Upon A Time In the West.

Jack Elam, Woody Strode and another guy just waiting, waiting for Charles Bronson's character at the train station. The water drip . . . the buzzing fly . . . the squeaking windmill . . . classic.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some notable ones:
    --2001: A Space Odyssey. Can't beat Also Spake Zarathustra
    --O.J. Simpson bumping into everything in sight at the start of The Naked Gun.
    --The opening credits for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

BTW...the opening to George Washington

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And the opening to Persona

11. The movie itself was crap, but that Nicolas Cage pic "Snake Eyes" should at least receive a honorable mention. For those who haven't seen it, the opening scene is one unbroken take and follows Cage to various locations, including ringside at a heavyweight title fight.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And, well, better throw this in the ring:

Draft saved Draft deleted