1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best game you've ever covered ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 15, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think it was UCLA but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Duke beat UCLA 90-81. It's all coming back to me now.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't know why but the use of chipmunk has me rolling.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It was quite funny live.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For the longest time, I thought it would be a 2001 Class 1A state semifinal between Greeley County and Brewster. Conference rivals. Brewster ranked No. 1. Only loss was to a 6A school after blowing a six-point lead in final minute. Greeley County had lost four games, two to Brewster. Great game. Brewster led whole game, but Greeley County hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to send game to overtime

Good overtime. Went two. Greeley County finally has game won in second overtime, but impossible, off-balance 3-pointer at buzzer goes in for Brewster forces third overtime. Brewster finally wins and storms court like they had won state. Greeley County players were laying on the court, most crying.

But this year, I covered national-tournament volleyball match. First round match featured Podunk Community College vs. Power CC, which had not lost a first-round match since 1991. It went five games. Power CC had match point, but Podunk held. At 17-16, Podunk had match point. Power's All American hitter goes up against one Podunk blocker and Podunk blocker throws the kill back down hard. Incredible, heart-pounding upset. And when volleyball is played well, it is one hell of a sport to cover.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I wasn't covering it, but in 2001 my high school and our arch rivals played a 3 overtime game in the region semifinals in boys' basketball. It was the best game I've ever watched. I believe ckykid was covering that game for our paper and he said it ranks up there as one of the best he's ever covered.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Game one of last year's Stanley Cup Finals.
    The whole game is just back and forth, ebb and flow. Two teams just battling and the intensity inside the building is just building and building. Then the infamous Andrew Ladd collision with Dwayne Roloson. ... and Rod Brind'Amour's goal just sucking the air out of the Oilers. It was almost anticlimatic how the goal was scored, but so unusual it made it amazing.
    In fact, three of the four games in Raleigh were amazing.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Major league division: Super Bowl XXX???? (I never keep the Roman numerals straight) when Vinatieri upsets the Rams with a last-second field goal. Great game, big upset, U2 at halftime.

Minor league division: No. 2 -- 1999 ECHL Kelly Cup playoffs, Mississippi beats South Carolina in Game 3 of the opening round to advance, doing so 10 minutes into the third overtime. Sets off a pretty amazing run of overtime playoff games and a stretch of nearly 200 shutout minutes by the Mississippi goalie. No. 1 -- Last game of playoffs that year, Mississippi erased two-goal third-period lead and ties it up on the final minute, wins in overtime. Not sure I've ever been in a louder building. For two years after that, I could turn over my laptop and shake it and confetti would fall out.

10. I'd say Auburn-Georgia football in 05. Endings can't get much crazier. Absolutely nuts.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Del_B, why did you have to remind me of that game? [/ramsfanboi]

12. FWIW, "chipmunk" is a term of derision for chatty young sportswriters coined by (I believe) the late Jimmy Cannon WAY back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted