1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best game you've ever covered ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

By Fenian_Bastard
    SportsJournalists.com Tribune

LEXINGTON, KY--No fooling: Dynasty is cancelled. Villanova's royal flush trumped Georgetown's straight flush in college basketball's most shocking upset ever Monday.

2. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Well, I've been waiting for a good thread to make my 500th post, so here goes:

Probably the best game I've covered was the 2000 Super Bowl in Atlanta. Rams win with a stop on the 1-yard line as time expires. I've covered a lot of good college football games as well, but that one probably ranks pretty high.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I see your IV and raise you a V.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I call your IV and your V and ask if you covered the 2003 ALCS Game 7, which is the greatest game I have ever watched in my life - not just because I am a Yankees fan, but also because of the insane swings in that game.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As far as coverage goes, it would be a State Semifinal football game. 18 degrees out, driving snow, some fog because the field was located on a river. Home team was heavily favored and road team - which I was covering - wins in triple OT. Road team scored on a halfback pass in the first OT and on a fake field goal in the third OT.
    There also wasn't really a press box at the stadium - it was built in the 1920s - and so I walked the sideline. I kept notes by using a giant ziplock bag with my notepad in it. It was pretty hard to read by the end of the game.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bloomsburg 34, West Chester 31 in 1984. The game was for the Pennsylvania Conference Eastern title. Blooms got the ball on its 10 with 50 seconds left, down 31-28. They got to midfield with four seconds left.

The Bloomsburg QB, Jay Dedea, takes the snap and drops back. And drops back. And drops back. To the 25. He scrambles to the right sideline, then back to the middle of the field. Getting back to the 40, he takes three steps and unloads a 55-yard pass into the end zone, where it goes through three sets of West Chester hands and into the gut of a freshman wide receiver, Curtis Still, who makes his first collegiate reception.

This was at West Chester, and the fans had been streaming to the exits. Still catches this ball, and the whole place goes dead silent for seven seconds, everybody frozen where they were. Then you hear the Bloomsburg people going apeshit.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pro division:
    Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. Will be hard to top that one for me.

College division:
    2000 Big Sky tournament championship between Northern Arizona and Cal State Northridge. Game goes overtime. Ross Land from NAU (now an assistant at UC Irvine, I believe) hits a freaking 85-footer (all net) right before halftime. Just an awesome game all the way through. And way too much Moose Drool later on during a Missoula bar crawl.

8. OK, now that's scary.
    GET OUT OF MY MIND!

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Germany 1, Poland 0 at the World Cup last summer. The Germans kept missing one glorious chance after another, and the atmosphere inside the Westfalenstadion just kept growing more tense (and louder). Finally, a couple of minutes after the Germans hit the post twice in less than a second, Oliver Neuville scored in injury time, and two hours of pent-up emotion burst out. The hosts were through to the second round, and you could hear the roar throughout Dortmund. Best atmosphere I've ever been in at a sporting event.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Second round of the Class 3-A playoffs last fall, Lexington Catholic vs. Franklin County. Franklin County, the team I covered at my old paper, was up 32-7 at halftime on one of the state's top-ranked teams.

Instead of putting the game away -- which FC was very capable of doing -- the coach decided to try and play keep away from Catholic. It didn't work. Catholic cut into the lead and tied the game up at 38-38. Franklin County couldn't stop Catholic on its last drive, and the Knights won 44-38.

I covered these same two teams the year before and they combined for 1,100 yards of total offense. Catholic won that game, 62-28. No. Defense. At. All. In either game, honestly.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A few games stick out for me.
    1982 ALCS Game 5. Milwaukee had erased 2-0 deficit to tie series at 2-2. In Game 5 California leads, 3-2, by Milwaukee scores two in bottom of seventh. One of the hits was a broken bat blooper by Charlie Moore that found grass between pitcher's mound and second base, then a walk to Jim Gantner and a sacrifice. With two outs, Cecil Cooper goes the other way for a two-run single to left. In eighth, little-used CF Marshall Edwards scales wall in left-center to rob Don Baylor.

Easter Sunday, 1987. Brewers are 11-0 to start season but trail, 4-1, in ninth. Rob Deer crushes a tying three-run homer into a stiff wind blowing in straight from left. Gantner walks and Dale Sveum follows with two-run homer. County Stadium goes up for grabs.

One game I covered wasn't much of a game but had an incredible moment. In 2003, Green Bay Packers are whipping Denver in season finale but seem destined to miss playoffs. Then Arizona scores miracle touchdown vs. Vikings on final play and instantly Lambeau Field crowd goes nuts while nothing in particular is happening on the field. (Sorry about this recollection, Rosie. :) )

1992 NBA All-Star Game was pretty amazing with retired Magic Johnson voted in and winning MVP.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

1999 Atlantic 10 Men's basketball championship with Lamar Odom sinking the game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer for Rhode Island's first conference title. I've covered some other great college games since, but considering what was on the line, this is at the top of the heap.

Second place: A perfect game. It was at the high school level, but it was it the kid's second-consecutive no-hitter and the center fielder made a diving catch going to his left toward the fence for the final out. What a neat thing to see and the post-game interviews are among my favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted