1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best game you've ever covered ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I just covered the most intense playoff hockey game of my career, and it was a historic finish to boot. No. 4 seed (local team) beats No. 13 in shootout — the first high school playoff shootout in Vermont history (VPA implemented it this year). There was an 8-minute OT and 15-minute second OT. Then the shootout. Local freshman scores with a sweet deke/backhand on the 4th attempt, then visiting team misses 5th try, and local team takes the game 3-2 (2-1 shootout). Visiting team's best player, a kid with a college shot — a godamn zizzer — takes a misconduct in OT for verbal chicanery and watched the shootout from the bin. May have been the decisive factor. But that was just one sub-plot to this thriller. Everything about the game was beautiful, from the piper play to the board work to mucking in the corner to the checks ... to everything.

Playoff hockey is beautiful.

So what are some of the top games you've covered?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who gives a shit? Give me 300 words on it by 10:45. :D :D

It sounds like a great game, but I'd be careful about overdoing the historic aspect. If this is the first year playoff shootouts have been in place, then a playoff shootout is not really historic. It's certainly notable, and memorable, but it was due to happen. To me, it's tough to use the word historic to describe something that couldn't happen until this year. It'd be more appropriate if somebody scored a record nine goals in regulation or something.

Just my two cents.

1999 NLCS Game Five.

3. Bitter Young Wet Blanket strikes!
    Best game I ever covered -- Villanova-Georgetown NCAA Final and Game Six, 1986 WS. (Tie.)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey! I was just trying to give Xan a pointer. Trust me. Some of the worst shit I've ever shat out was written after great games. Makes me cringe to this day.

5. I have sought out and burned every copy of my Georgetown-Villanova gamer.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The ad that poses as the first response to this thread is the video of the Asian wedgie.

This makes me smile a little.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hmm. Gives new meaning to the term "Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

8. You think the wrap was bad, you should have read the running. I believe I typed in Hoyle's rules for pinochle there to fill space.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

2004 Red Sox - Yankees ALCS. Pick a game, probably IV.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I beg you, Fenian: Please tell me you worked an April Fools reference in there.

11. No, but I think there was something about this year's episode of Dynasty being cancelled. It's all a blur.

12. 1995 NCAA Men's Golf Championship. Thinking team had little chance of staging a late comeback through the third rain delay of the day, No. 5 player Leif Westerberg hops a jet back to Europe. Teammate and senior Alan Bratton makes three birdies on his final three holes and junior Trip Kuehne adds another to tie a Tiger Woods-led Stanford team and go into a sudden death playoff.

The low four scores of the five players count toward the team score. Okie State has only four players in the playoff. Two, Kris Cox and Bratton make birdies in the playoff and Stanford (Woods, Notah Begay, Casey Martin, William Yanagisawa and Jerry Chang) makes none.

Tournament was at Alistair McKenzie designed Scarlet Course at Ohio State.

Draft saved Draft deleted