1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Best First Sentence of a Story I've read this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Apr 28, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The rest of the story only gets better.
    http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2007/04/30/070430taco_talk_gopnik

2. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

That's a haunting image, the cell phones ringing as they carried the bodies out. Heart-rending. What an intense thing to lead with.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Willie Nile has a great song on the 2006 Streets of New York CD called "Cell Phones Ringing (In The Pockets of The Dead)." When I heard it, I thought it was about 9/11, but I heard him interviewed and he said it's about the 2004 train bombing in Madrid.

http://www.willienile.com/song_streets_cellphones.html

4. blueview

blueview Member

Simply a chilling statement. It immediately draws you in.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nile said there was a headline in a newspaper that said "Cellphones Ringing in the Pockets of the Dead" and that's where the title came from. So this has been done before.

http://www.puremusic.com/63willie4.html

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Yikes. That really is a great lede.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That is a great, haunting lede.

Until I read that, I was convinced the best lede I'd seen was, "Your cat kicked the bucket yesterday. The economy is souring, your baby’s daddy skipped town and no matter how often you listen to “SexyBack,” Justin Timberlake is never going to date you."

While that lede was funny, the bit about the cell phones ringing trumps it.

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Why can't I write like that? Wow.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is a great lede and a well written paragraph. And it did draw me in because I figured it was going to be a well reported and written account of what occurred that day.

Unfortunately the story quickly falls apart and turns into another bed-wetting, knee-jerk dissertation about how evil guns are and frankly, there is nothing original or interesting about that subject.

In fact, it bores the hell out of me.

The fact that it started so strong and turned into that crap so quickly reminds me of a lot of the major league career of Kevin Maas -- I think he hit like 20 home runs in his 80 games in the bigs and finished his career with like a total of 35 as he went from phenom (and heir apparent to Don Mattingly) to journeyman to out of the league in a few seasons......

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

You can. Just find a line you like somewhere else and steal it like this guy did.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I diagree. When I read the sentence I didn't know what the writer meant.

Ask why what?

It took several sentences to figure out "why" was why the shooting happened.

But that doesn't have anything to do with the cell phones ringing and no one was stopping folks from asking why. You may get a dirty look or no answer, but you could still ask.

So it didn't work for me.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Anyone that could compare that piece to the strictly pull hitting Kevin Mass who came in with a bang and quickly died off deserves an applause.

Draft saved Draft deleted