1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the best enterprise/project writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 15, 2012.

1. spankys

spankys Member

I'm trying to do some more enterprise work at my paper and was wondering if anyone had any good recs for enterprise or project reporters who are must-reads?

There obviously aren't as many of them as their once were, but any recs would be appreciated!

-spankys

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sports, or all subjects?

3. 35in44

35in44 Member

Just my opinion, but Nathan Fenno is very, very good over at The Washington Times.

4. spankys

spankys Member

my initial thought was sports, but most sports enterprise takes on important elements of non-sports enterprise, so either-or.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is there a particular age group you're targeting? Circulation? Region? Does it matter if they're underrated or overrated or not rated at all?

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Start with the whole Tampa Bay Times enterprise team.

7. spankys

spankys Member

Ha that was hilarous you trolled me so bad lol smh omg. Thanks for the help.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's actually trying to help you, clown car. Again, narrowing it down would help.

9. spankys

spankys Member

Ok, I don't think he was trying to help. But to answer the questions to my question, I don't care how old they are, what city they write in or what their circulation size is. I was just curious if anyone had a sports enterprise writer they enjoyed, as I was hoping to find some good ones to follow. If none come to mind or this category is too broad, that's fine.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What kind of enterprise? Trend stories? Investigative work? Social issues? Long-form features?

Most journalists these days do some degree of enterprise. And enterprise is defined differently. And most newspapers that have "enterprise" positions turn those guys into breaking news reporters and sidebar writers who get to do one actual enterprise piece a month.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not that I'm unbiased here, but I agree.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/nathan-fenno/

Go find the concussion piece he did in late June. Or the August story on the paralympic shooter. Or the September story on quarterbacks in D.C. Just for a few examples. Or last summer on Livan Hernandez. I could go on and on.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Juliet Macur.

Draft saved Draft deleted