1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best commercial I can remember: Howie Long and the "man step"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Mar 27, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is that really a seat from the Toyota Highlander? Ouch.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

She'll be known as the girl that pointed at Howie Long's weiner on national TV. Life is about to do a way worse number on her than anything you're planning.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You have no soul :D

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hate that little red-haired biatch. And Howie looks dorky in that one.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd love for the man-step guy to turn to Howie and say, "I had hip replacement surgery last year, asshole."

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll give you some ammo ... Dothan High School principal

7. towmotor

towmotor New Member

The best commercial in a long time?

Howie Long epitomizes the classic obnoxious bully as he berates the hapless doofus (who is really more like most real guys) for using the "man step" equipped Ford.
    Does that happen in real life?
    Not unless it's between one over-sexed, under-brained seventeen year old (Howie) and his less-endowed-with-masculinity, can't-get-a-girlfriend classmate.

I do wonder if GM has managed to put a tidy title on the billion dollar bailout largesse extended by the US taxpayers (nerdy Ford guy among them).

May I suggest....

"MAN STEP" ?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Most obnoxious commercial of all-time? I'll buy that.

The man-step that Chevy derides is actually a clever and useful accessory for truck owners who aren't 6-foot-plus former athletes.

No wonder Obama wants to take over GM.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As a proud owner of a F-150, I cannot wait for the Ford owner to hand Howie bankruptcy papers while laughing about the Aveo and the Hummer.

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I pissed off Howie Long last year.
    His position coach, Earl Leggett (the guy who introduced him at his HOF induction) lived in our area and died last year. Leggett and Long were close, and Long delivered a great eulogy. I covered the memorial service, but missed a couple of the people I wanted to talk to. So as much as I hated to, I went to the graveside service.
    After it wrapped up, I was talking to Terry Robiskie on his way back to the car. Howie Long walks by and says, "You're doing an interview at a funeral!?" Couldn't tell if he was talking to me or Robiskie.
    Robiskie was cool and told him we were talking about Leggett. Howie let it go, but he still gave me disapproving look No. 37.
    That's my Howie Long story.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I might side with Howie on that one.

12. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Normally I wouldn't have gone to the graveside service. To me, that's for the family. But I really needed to talk to someone else about Leggett, and everyone slipped out a back door at the memorial service. I felt like a bit of a heel even being there, but it's not like I was asking Robiskie about how the Falcons were going to do next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted