1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best and worst dressed coaches of March Madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Andy Kennedy, not pictured.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Thuggins is in full-blown "I-don't-give-a-fuck-anymore" mode at West Virginia. He was always one of the better dressed coaches at Cincinnati. Now he either wears the gold pimp suit or the black Hefty bag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Best-dressed broadcasters tonight:

Kenny Smith
    Dick Vitale

Worst-dressed broadcaster:

Seth Davis

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Huggins could only outdo that gold suit if he ever wore an Elvis-style jumpsuit with sequins.

I remember being at a WVU game when he wore it. The suit distracted me from watching the game.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would Davis also qualify in the best-dressed print guy category?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did I miss where Jay Wright was a participant in this year's festivities?

As for worst dressed, hard to go wrong with a classic like Majerus.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shaka Smart was mentioned above - he has a pretty hefty clothing allowance in his contract. Not sure if that's standard in that line of work. Now I'm fully on record as loving the guy, but you'd think when you make $1.2 million a year you could buy some clothes with part of that.

Car, country club, clothing. Here's 1.2 mil a year and you really don't have to spend any of it!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not actually a terrible idea. Like I noted above, you are selling your program. It's a business expense, you know? And I bet the tab can run up pretty quickly. Now, at some point it probably slows because you reach a point where you're just accessorizing or adding a piece here or there. But that initial investment of a few suits, a few shoes, a closet full of shirts and ties, a watch or two ... that could easily run into the tens of thousands of dollars if you choose to do it right. To a coach, it's a recruiting expense. Or should be.

I bet TV personalities don't pay for their own clothes, and they make good money. What are coaches nowadays if not TV stars, as well?

Back to Seth Davis: He had a bright red tie and a hideous deep blue shirt. Looked like a middle schooler's idea of what "dressing up" entails.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's women's hoops, but still....

[​IMG]

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In case there are any on-line editors out there:

I was kind of curious about this, so I clicked on the link, got the ad and the link that said "skip this advertisement" which didn't work, so I left. Thanks to those of you who posted pictures.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I thought that was Larry Bird at first in the gold suit...WOW...

Draft saved Draft deleted