1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best and worst dressed coaches of March Madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some discussion about Kim Mulkey on the women's thread, so here's Esquire's slideshow on the men's coaches, for your entertainment:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/best-dressed-college-basketball-coaches-2012-7333921#slide-1

A discussion specifically about tonight's combatants:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/ncaa-coach-suits-040212

They are right. There is nothing more gross than coordinating your ties with your team colors. High school coaches do this all the time. Don't be a high school coach. Don't coordinate your ties with your team colors. :)

2. Dick Whitman

By the way, for my money: Jay fucking Wright.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I co-sign with Dick. Jay Wright is the best dressed college basketball coach.

4. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

Tom Crean often looks like a 10 year old wearing his dad's suit and always seems to have some sort of belt/waist issues.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tell Crean the Boo Radley haircut is no longer in vogue.

I thought Shaka Smart looked well dressed.

Roy Williams always appears to be in good fitting clothes although he does the team color/tie thing.

6. That blue plaid sportscoat is not a good look, however.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tell the guys to get some nice but toned down belt buckles. Jay Wright absolutely obliterates his look with that horrendous belt buckle.

As much as those guys get for salary, forget the suits, tell them to get some good shirts. Its not that expensive and they only have what 2 games a week? Damn they were crappy shirts, look at Calipari, too long sleeve, and cheap two buttons cuffs? Really? Get some french cuffs with understated cufflinks or at least true two or three button cuffs (Turnbull Asser/Thomas Pink.)

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well I posted without looking at the esquire spread. That coat is a bit much, but actually not bad with his white hair if you think about it.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For both categories?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Crean looks like Dwight Schrute's more socially awkward brother.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In the Historical Wing, hard to beat Lou Henson's orange sportcoats, and the LouDo on top of his head.

12. Dick Whitman

Just the best-dressed list.

I don't understand how you can make as much as these guys do, dress up for work every day on national television or in front of 10,000-plus people, and look like a slob anyway. Come on, guys! And it's practical - you are selling yourself to sell your program.

Can't believe Huggins isn't on the worst-dressed list.

Also: Baseball managers and coaches look ridiculous in uniforms.

Draft saved Draft deleted