1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bend Bulletin Declares Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 24, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The parent company of the Bend Oregon Bulletin and some other smaller Oregon papers is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, owing more than 10 million dollars.

Bulletin parent company files Chapter 11

The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy about seven years ago. Chapter 11 allows for a reorganization. But I wonder if they are financially strong enough to stay out of liquidation.

Bend has a population of 94,000 people and I thought was growing. How could the paper have gotten that far in hole? Is this a sign of the future?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From the link (the bold text is from me):

Almost $1 million in the hole to their newsprint supplier?!?!!! If I worked in Bend (and I've known a few people who have), I'd be cashing my paycheck ASAP from now on.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also has a couple of papers in California, one along the North Coast, the other in Sonora.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Why is a paper in Bend, Oregon purchasing newsprint from Pennsylvania? There are zillions of trees in Oregon, Washington, etc.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why is anybody in the news business still purchasing newsprint?

flexmaster33 and FileNotFound like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the bigger mystery - who is giving credit to newspaper companies these days? Fun fact: Bob Dickey - CEO of Gannett lives in Bend for some reason. And I remember Otis Chandler of the LA Times lived up there for years as well.

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Still, Costa remained optimistic. ...

We’re working our darndest to move over into the new world
    of digital reporting and editing and digital revenue particularly,” he said.

Turn out the lights, dude. The party's over.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bend is the home of the last Blockbuster Video store. I guess there are only so many throwback dollars to go around.

10. LanceyHoward

The company seems to have skipped 401K payments. I hope the company has made the paymetns for income tax and social security withholdings.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really. I’d like to the answer to that, too.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

The company that sells the paper may have a legal address in Pennsylvania but the newsprint does have to come from Pennsylvania. I bet it came from the West Coast somewhere. But in bankruptcy they use the legal address of the company.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted