1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Probably the first album where I wore the grooves out was Beatles 67-70. That and the 62-66 album (which I have in the red vinyl today) were/are great capsules of the Beatles catalog.

In my sophomore English class, we spent one class period picking the best Beatles song. I doubt if I could specifically recall more than a handful of classes in high school, but that one sticks in my memory like it was yesterday. The teacher had 4 classes; 3 classes picked 'Back in The USSR'. One class picked 'Eleanor Rigby'--buncha loosers.

The Beatles were pioneers--truly on the same level as a Christopher Columbus, Lewis and Clark or Neil Armstrong.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The musical journey from "Please Please Me" to "The White Album" would be stunning enough. That it took only 5 years? That, my friends, is genius.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, pick a favorite Beatles song.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anything from Rubber Soul or Revolver. Can't pick one.
    BTW, just to brag on my wife Alice, she not only saw the Beatles in concert at Shea, she saw them before when they played the Forest Hills tennis stadium, too.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Revolution - the single version

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Back in English class, my favorite was Back In the USSR

Today, I'd go with While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We did not foist the Beatles on our kids but we did play it for them and try to get them to like it. They refused. Then Across the Universe came out, and now my kids are Beatles devotes.

A very under-rated movie musical, ala Moulin Rugue. Also check out the soundtrack to I Am Sam, all Beatles covers.

Whatever it was that got them into it, they love them.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I get older, I appreciate the McCartney stuff more.

Let it Be might be my favorite now, although it would have been Hey Jude when I was in high school and A Day in the Life after that...

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I mentioned earlier, not the biggest Beatles guy but I prefer their earlier stuff and semi-obscurities like "Doctor Robert", "The Night Before" and "You Won't See Me".

One of the more interesting mashups out there is Beatlallica which mixes Beatles and Metallicas songs with interesting results. Bit much to take over the course of a whole album but is a good listen for a song or two. "Blackened the USSR" is probably my fave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatallica

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My 3 year old is starting to like them. He loves Yellow Submarine (as does the 15 month old) and Helllo Goodbye for some reason.

He also likes my Hard Days Night T-Shirt, so I think I'm doing something right. I was spoonfed the Beatles, and so will my kids.

Both boys also love Timebomb by The Old 97s. They freak out when the opening riff comes on. I love my kids!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This isn't quite the cultural tome it claims to be, but it is as scholarly a look at their music as I have come across.

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Buy-Me-Love-Beatles/dp/0307353370

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

My favourite album. I've always preferred the early stuff, and this is a perfect example of why they were already the best band in the world less than a year into their recording career. Fourteen songs, eight of them originals, none of them filler, played and recorded basically live on the floor at Abbey Road. And sung by four distinct singers - geez, four of the first five songs on Side 1 featured a different lead voice.

And the circumstances surrounding its creation just boggle the mind. Their second single was on its way to the top of the charts and the feeling at EMI was - "Hey! We need an album to capitalize on this!!" One problem, though. The group was on one of its punishing nationwide tours. When would they record this album? The only answer was to bring them to London in the middle of the tour for a single day of recording. It would be absolutely unthinkable now to record an album in a single day, but that's just what the Beatles did. On February 11, 1963, at a cost of only 400 pounds, using a two-track tape recorder, they laid down 11 songs, 10 of which were grouped together with the A and B sides of their first two singles. That was the album.

Who else in 1963, anywhere in the world, could have produced what they did, much less on a debut album? How the Beatles went from here to the White Album in only five years is, as HC points out, simply unfathomable. But this is where they started, and they were already at a point most other groups never reach at all. It's why everybody else was playing catch-up from the word go - and nobody ever really did catch up, did they?

Draft saved Draft deleted