1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I want a set too! I still have the old masters. :D

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I got Hard Days Night long after I owned their post-'65 albums, it was only a few years ago when I burned a copy. I've always had a distance between myself and that music because I'll always associate it with my mom's death, as I was watching Hard Days Night the night she died.

Even though many of the songs are familiar, I was totally blown away how good it is from end-to-end. Next to Revolver, it might be my second favorite album ... and I've always been more into later period Beatles.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There was a time -- I was about 12 -- when I would have debated with anybody that the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles. I finally figured it out, but I still love 'em both. Just too bad all that competition drove Brian Wilson over the edge.

4. Do your kids a favor and burn them anything other than the Beatles. Christ almighty. You guys are allergic to anything post 1960.

Fuck the Beatles.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Apparently you are allergic to history. The Beatles didn't hit the world until 1960.

I am, however and thank you, allergic to anything post 1999. Go listen to Soulja Boy and leave the musical discussions to the adults.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I prefer Elvis to the Beatles. I prefer Buddy Holly to the Beatles. I prefer B.B. King circa 1950 to the Beatles. The Beatles are historic, and they were pioneers in some ways. They might be a good starting point for young music listeners. If I want to listen to some great rock, though, I don't pull out the Beatles.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

To the clueless: Rolling Stone's got a Beatles special out that is as close to a scholarly discussion of their music as you can get in the popular press.

Go read it and then get the fuck back to us.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I "discovered" the Beatles when I was a kid going through my parents' albums. Didn't care for Elvis. I wasn't much into the Joni Mitchell other hippie stuff that they had, but the stuff I liked was Paul Simon and the Beatles. I was about 5 or 6 at the time and I put Magical Mystery Tour on the record player because I wanted to hear a song called "I am the Walrus" Been hooked ever since.

9. HeinekenMan

Having a scholarly discussion of music is like having a scholarly discussion of sex. People like what they like, and they shouldn't be told they are clueless because of what someone else thinks. It doesn't make me clueless anymore than it makes someone else clueless for failing to recognize the impact that Sun Records had on rock as a whole.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many of his hits did Elvis write himself?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But how were they in night interleague games against left-handed pitching with runners in scoring position?

12. HeinekenMan

How many of Michael Crawford's musicals did he write himself? How many of Jack Nicholson's movies did he write himself? Elvis was a singer. I prefer to like his performances more than I like the Beatles' performances. That's all. It doesn't mean that the Beatles aren't musical geniuses. Perhaps they are. So are the guys who compose classical music. I don't care to listen to them much either.

Draft saved Draft deleted