1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles: The Next Generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the Julian Lennon "Behind the Music" years ago on VH1? He argued that there was a vast conspiracy working against him because he was so talented, people were afraid he would eclipse his own father. He had quite the high opinion of himself.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was Behind the Music or another such show, but it made the argument that Sean got a lot more support from Yoko, who had a strained relationship with Julian. Not sure if there was anything to it, but I don't remember Sean having any hits. At least Julian had a couple of top 40 songs in the mid-1980s.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Musically, I'm not sure if support from Yoko is a good thing.

And I don't think Julian has ever had much of a relationship with Yoko. John left Julian's mom when Julian was 5 to be with Yoko, and then didn't have any contact with him for years. I think Julian and Yoko are civil to each other, but not close.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Julian's relationship with Yoko swings between open warfare and barely-civil toleration and for-the-camera pleasantries.

For a long long time Julian did seem to have a very good relationship with Paul, who had served as a semi-uncle to him during the Beatles years, but Julian threw a semi-public hissy-fit after not being invited to Paul's wedding to Nancy Shirvell last fall, so that might explain some of the apparent current McCartney-Julian frostiness (Julian does tend to fly off the handle a lot at perceived slights).

At least to every public appearance, Julian and Sean do appear to get along surprisingly well, considering their mothers were at loggerheads virtually for years.

Although frankly, I've never really heard of any animosity whatever between any of the Beatle kids -- no snarky remarks in the press, etc etc.

Frankly, I would think Zak Starkey is the key to the whole deal -- he has major-league rock credibility. Hell, in effect, if he decided to do it, he would essentially be THE leader of the band.

Draft saved Draft deleted