1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles: The Next Generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting that the son of the most dispensable post-1962 Beatle turned out to be the most accomplished of the offspring and therefore less likely than the others to be interested.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

[​IMG]

says it's tough, can't be done

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about the offspring's participation, but the surviving original Beach Boys have a summer of tour dates booked:

http://www.thebeachboys.com/reunion/index.html

Curious to see if they stick to the standard, good-timin' set Love and crew have played for the past 30 years, or if they'll mix in some post-Pet Sounds stuff. Hope it's the latter.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Dhani Harrison has done some good work, particularly with 'Fistful of Mercy', the band he formed with Ben Harper and Joseph Arthur. My particular favourite is "Father's Son".

5. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Sean sounds like a higher pitched, more nasal version of John.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was just about to post this. Had it on at my brother's place the other night when he had a little Final Four get-together. He pronounced that it "sucks," though, and proceeded to put on rap, which he says is "awesome."

I don't think it "sucks." I think it is quite good.

7. Seems like there was some talk years ago that Julian Lennon was going to sit in on some reunion effort with the three surviving Beatles. Obviously long before George Harrison died.

Zak Starkey also toured with his father and is an excellent drummer in his own right. The night I saw them in concert, he handled most of the drum work, while Ringo was the main vocalist.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Certainly if the S.O.B.'s ever get to the point of laying down tracks, you won't see McCartney telling Starkey, "shove over, I'll play the drums myself on this one."

Julian and Sean both sound a lot like John, although in different ways.

Julian of course did a nice version of (Paul's!) "When I'm Sixty-Four" for the commercial, and Sean did a good job on "Julia" at one of the 70th birthday celebrations.

Haven't heard either one rip out a real rocker, although Julian's "I Don't Wanna Know" is a pretty good Rubber Soul-ish song from the mid-late 90s.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Julian doing "Johnny B. Goode" with Chuck Berry from "Hail Hail Rock and Roll":

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They would never be as big as Nelson was when they reunited. Twin sons of a fruitcake mother.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I saw Julian about a decade ago at a small theater in Atlanta. He was 38 then, three years older than his father was when John released the "Rock 'N' Roll" album in '75. Might have been 700 people in there with me, so I was right up near the stage.

Julian encored with "Stand By Me". Same version, same voice, same face. Holy fuck, that was eerie. :eek:

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

says "what's the big deal?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted