1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles: The Next Generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/04/03/jame-mccartney-the-beatles-the-next-generation/

This is something I suppose it would probably be fun for them to DO some drunken weekend at one of their daddies' billion-dollar estates -- but probably not in public.

If they ever did it, they should follow Paul's early blueprint for the Beatles' "Get Back" tour in 1969, and the first Wings tour in 1972: Make up a completely fake band name, play short sets in tiny dive bars, stay below the radar.

Oh, and for the band name: They would instantly be called "The S.O.B.'s," so they might as well embrace it right from the start.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They know not the living hell they'd be getting into

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing is secret in this day and age.

After four songs there would be a line out the door.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I've seen Harrison's kid, and he can play.

That said, this is probably a bad idea.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sean and Julian can both "play," certainly at garage-band replacement level. James McCartney sounds like an all-acoustic version of dad.

Zak Starkey is a major-league drummer.

Everything I've read indicates the Beatle kids actually get along pretty well among each other. They were either not around (McCartney, Harrison, Sean Lennon) or little kids (Julian Lennon, Zak Starkey) when the band was breaking up and bad feelings were running high, so they don't have a lot of the bad memories the dads do.

Still this would probably just be a much better idea to do some drunken weekend at Paul's Scottish estate.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ugh. A horrible idea.

Do they expect by getting together, they'll be magically transformed into Quarry Men Deux and become late blooming musical hitmakers that they aren't today?

And no matter what they do, they'll never be able to step out of the shadows of their fathers, and anything would fail majestically in comparison.

I guess if they're going to do it, go all the way and don the Sgt Peppers get up and go with the mop top haircuts.

However, I guess we're not far from the day when all members of a great 60s-70s-80s band will be dead, and their offspring will co-opt the name, play the songs and carry on the band. Can't be far off from Skynyrd doing that, and I'm sure there are others that could be likely candidates as well--Beach Boys, we're looking at you....

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

Count me in as one who thinks it's a bad idea. James Macca sounds like his dad -- the guy who says, "C'mon lads, let's do this and keep the spirit alive!" Meanwhile, the others are looking at him like he's nuts, which is what happened when Paul wanted to keep touring. Saying that Dhani and Sean "seemed to be into it" is a far cry from "they want to do it."

On another note, I've never heard Sean but I think Julian Lennon sounds and looks so much like his dad it's fucking creepy.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Only if Kevin Love is a member.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Don't take my fucking idea."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Beach Boys have been Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and a combination of musicians for hire for at least a couple decades. The offspring of Brian Wilson and Al Jardine have gotten together for concerts before with a band formed by Jardine, but would surely never work with Mike Love again (Todd Jardine was the Beach Boys drummer for a while way back when). So when Mike Love dies or retires, that'll be the end of the Beach Boys.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kevin Love is also a Beach Boy nephew rather than an offspring.

As for the Sons of Beatles, I think it would be a hoot. Certainly, none of them need the money, so it'd be fun to just see what they can do.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I could see the other three wanting to do it, given they really don't have any output of their own. But Starkey has played with The Who and Oasis. I don't know why this would interest him.

Draft saved Draft deleted