1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The beat goes on

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's been a very difficult year for all of us in this industry and those of us employed by the four-letter company that's acronym begins with a C (oh, the possibilities to finish that!) know it all too well.

This came down the pipe today -- as a salaried employee, I have not received a full paycheck this entire year. Our parent company sprinkles the hit of four quarters of furlough days (5 in each quarter) over every paycheck for the year.

Come to find out, the company had been taking out too much money and salaried employees will receive full paychecks in the last two pay periods of the year to reimburse us.

Fine, but what sticks in my craw is the company used my money they incorrectly deducted, on top of my F days, for 48 weeks. That is money that should have been going into my 401K over the course of 48 weeks, not four weeks, let alone been in my much-lighter wallet.

Mistakes happen, I realize, but this is just one more way to feel shat upon as we've received no notice, no letter of explanation and, certainly, no apology. I only know because my boss told me.

Apologies if this comes across as whining.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It isn't whining to point out you got screwed by the company.

Part of me thinks a class-action lawsuit would be in order to get the interest you lost on that money. Of course, the company would fire everybody involved.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the company would probably declare bankruptcy to avoid paying out on the lawsuit while firing everyone.

Your not whining, Colton, it sucks. Only way I can see to get back at them is to cut off some of your time, especially if you're salaried. Work a couple of 40 hour weeks. If anyone complains, tell them you're owed the interest money and that's how you're collecting it.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just found out this BS is company wide, not just at my shop.

Can't begin to fathom how much $$$$ the company has pocketed from the interest.

Wish I knew a good labor attorney... OK, any labor attorney.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

to play devil's advocate here ...

doesn't this make sense if you look at it like taxes? You have withholdings, then you file, find out you withheld too much, get reimbursed and move on. Basically, you made an interest-free loan to the government.

Many people get excited about a refund. But when you think about it, that's money that could have been in your pocket all year long.

Not that cnhi did the right thing here, but they probably projected they needed X amount of money, found out they had Y, that X-Y=give some money back to the employees.

Draft saved Draft deleted