1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The BBQ thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Any pitmasters here?

After years of firing up the gas grill, I bought a Webber kettle grill this spring and have had some fun experimenting with low-and-slow cooking. I've had a couple failures - including a particularly embarrassing one on Kentucky Derby Day. (My friends will forever be convinced that all my ribs taste like a shoe.)

But for the most part, I'm coming around. I made some beef short ribs this past Sunday that were to die for. Pitch black bark. Melt in your mouth meat.

I've been using the store-brought "Cowboy Rub," which might be a little strong, so I'm interested in rub ideas. I typically use Jack Daniel's wood chips or blocks for smoke, but I'm open to suggestions. I seem to be able to maintain temperature better at 225-260 range since I started putting a water pan on the grates. My mop sauce is simple - apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and a touch of Very Old Barton bourbon.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My rub (I don't measure, generally, so just in order of how much of each ingredient there is, most-to-least):
    • Salt
    • Brown sugar (first 2 probably roughly equal parts)
    • Pepper
    • Garlic powder
    • Onion power
    • Paprika
    • Ground mustard
    • Cocoa powder

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want to get a smoker, or some type of smoker-grill combo thing.
    I'm not sure I'll get one, but I want one.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What about the Yoder YS640?
    That looks like it works as grill and a smoker and seems to get good reviews.

But it's $1,500. I could get a used Martin D18 guitar for that.
    Of course, the grill-smoker is household benefit for the family while the guitar would really just be for me.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

61E4drDJTSL._SL1500_.jpg I use a gas grill with a couple of these smoker boxes. On a five burner grill I turn the two on the right on low and these triangle boxes sit down between the burners.

I've gotten real nice smoke rings on ribs and brisket so far this summer .

6. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

I have an offset smoker bought at a sporting goods store that I use once a month for brisket. It's my obsession, and I'm already looking to upgrade equipment. I keep my rub basic: kosher salt, coarse black pepper and granulated garlic. If I feel saucy I'll mix in some paprika.

For the weekly stuff, I just bought a Weber Original. No complaints, the thing is great. Can't wait to tap into its potential.

Aaron Franklin, Myron Mixon and Meathead Goldwyn are my BBQ gurus of the moment.

Buck likes this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

When I lived in Indiana, I worked with a guy from Austin and became friends with a Purdue student that was from Houston. Those guys taught me a ton!

After jonesing for their BBQ (I never had to make my own when I lived there) after moving to Ohio, I got tips on how to use my charcoal grill for indirect and did some good stuff on there.
    When I was home last summer, we smoked salmon for a 4th of July party and it convinced me to just buy a smoker. I have worn that thing out already! LOL

It's a basic Wal-Mart bought bullet made by Kingsford. I can get it to hold at 175 for a good long time and I just have a bucket of soaked Hickory chunks always ready to go. Salmon, ribs, brisket, wings, turkey, sausage, venison...I've done a lot.

I'm more of a sauce guy, but I do a basic rub..pretty much with what has already been stated. I'm nowhere near good enough to be in a competition, but myself and friends think the food comes out pretty good.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you guys get a nice black bark from the lighter rubs?

9. amraeder

What qualifies as a lighter rub? Seems like anything with sugar to caramelize + smoke + time should work...

Do people brine their meat - especially pork? What do they put it in to brine.?I don't really have any container that seems big enough to brine a pork shoulder in + small enough to fit in my fridge....

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Consider trying mesquite instead of hickory chips. It's a very different taste.

This is my standard rub:

BBQ Spice Rub Recipe

A water pan is helpful. I've also been known to soak my wood chips for several hours and put them in a tightly wrapped aluminum foil pouch and pierce it several times to allow smoke to escape.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

The BBQ bible is AmazingRibs.com. The site can be annoying as "Meathead" tries to make money, but all the advice is spot on. "Meathead" Goldwyn also has at least one book. I don't do books for cooking anymore, so I use the website. I have a $70 vertical smoker with an extra $50 worth of conversions and the results would make most of the restaurants in Texas flee in submission. I also have a Weber Kettle Grill that's good for 95-percent of the time when you want great, but not sublime. A Kettle Grill will not get you sublime. I have to refurb the vertical smoker every three years or so, but at about $10 and two hours work. The Weber is indestructible.

12. amraeder

upload_2017-7-23_18-41-54.png

Dinner. A small pork shoulder roast.
    Served with couscous side salad.

Buck and Dick Whitman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted