1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bastards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Feb 5, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This from an AP story today. Pay particular attention to what happened to the 90,000 children:

"With a temperature of 12 below zero and wind chill of 31 below, Wisconsin's largest school district, Milwaukee Public Schools, also shut down, idling some 90,000 children. In upstate New York, 34,000 kids got the day off in Rochester because of near-zero temperatures. Schools also closed in parts of Michigan."

Have you ever been idled? Does it hurt? Does it involve the anus? What a ridiculous choice of words. It makes it sound as if the kids are in peril. They could have used "delighting" just as easily, and that, at least, would have been more accurate.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But while I've never heard that at team was "idling" you often here that a team is idle this week. I guess the pupils are idle, huh?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"An idling mind is the Devil's workingshop."

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, ya got trouble . . .

5. HeinekenMan

If idling is jerking it to mom's Victoria's Secret catalog, then, yes, a great many of the male pupils are idling today.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My only problem with idling is that it wastes gas and contributes to global warming.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here is a link to the definition of idling. The word fits perfectly in the context for which it is used.

8. HeinekenMan

Pastor,

You passed my test. I wanted to see who knew what a wonderful verb idling is.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Uh huh. ::)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The problem with the story is that it's not the word so much as the effect of the cold. The kids are happy to be out of school. It's the parents who have to scramble to deal with it.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In Louisville, it's against the law to idle in public. Both under Ace's and Heineken's definitions.

12. HeinekenMan

What I really wanted to portray is that the word seemed to have some negative connotation. I think Ace explores this.

Draft saved Draft deleted