1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bastard that beat me out for the NY Times internship...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A cousin, who's a baseball-writing legend, works at the LA Times. I always wanted to work at the NY Times.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That, and the story is factually incorrect. If memory serves, Michael Cooper served as an NBDL coach for at least one season when he wasn't with the Sparks.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Correct. The Albuquerque Thunderbirds.

A fact easily looked up on Wikipedia, and verified with a yahoo.com search of "Michael cooper" Thunderbirds. Though to be fair, the Sparks' official site looks like his bio was simply re-posted from his previous stint.

http://www.wnba.com/coachfile/michael_cooper/index.html?nav=page

4. Notepad

Notepad Member

That story is good?!?!?!
    Perhaps I'm missing something. Seemed average, at best, to me.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A further search on the NBDL web site shows Cooper still has the head coaching position of the Thunderbirds; although, I doubt that is factually correct since he probably does not coach in the NBDL and the WNBA concurrently.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I liked the little ad with the breakout game that showed up before it sent me to the story. Whoever was playing the game sucks.

7. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

I'm just curious...can someone point out to me the places in the story where it give off the writer's lack of experience?

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Dude, he's covering the WNBA. So what if it's for the NY Times? Write great stories covering a high school girls volleyball team on a consistent basis and you'll go places. Not to mention, volleyball girls are hotter. [/pervert]

9. you're not very good

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Welcome to the Web site.

11. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

He's not covering the WNBA. The Times doesn't cover the league. They use AP's game stories, and have run 2 features all year - one on Bill Laimbeer and the Detroit Shock, and now Michael Cooper and the LA Sparks.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The story is what it is... It's not supposed to be great... It's the typical task most papers would give an intern to do. He did the kind of job you'd expect him to do.

I don't think the story reads like the writer is inexperienced. It reads like hundreds of other stories we read in papers every day. It's nothing special, but there's nothing wrong with it either...

I mean, I know this board is brutal at times, but can we not rip interns please?

With the possible exceptions of the Wright Thompsons of the world, how many of us really want our work as interns held up for criticism?

Draft saved Draft deleted