1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bastard on PTI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. would y'all chill...i was just trying to get y'all off lebatard's @$$.... but y'all take this pimp spit too serious....

good thing all of you anonymous posters never misrepresent yourself. (i just can't help myself sometimes..)

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

all i know is that living in miami, i've had the chance to listen to le batard's radio show and it's unbearable about 90 percent of the time.

this sounds odd but my main criteria for deciding who is a good sports radio guy is a college degree. if you're just the talking idiot with strong opinions, i have no interest. if you can stop and rationally analyze something, you're worth my time at least when i'm in the car.

but listening to le batard is painful. he's worse than one of those ubiquitous local screaming idiots. his ego is so massive that i'm surprised his co-host even fits in the studio. he doesn't just talk down to his listeners -- he openly makes it clear that he thinks he is vastly superior to all of them. he thinks he's tony kornheiser -- he even does that deal where he hangs up on anyone who asks 'how are you'?. i have never once found one of his 'bits' or rants to be even remotely funny although he laughs hysterically at his own jokes and bits.

the only reason i even tune in while in the car is because he gets great guests. fwiw, the guy on before him jon 'boog' sciambi is the best sports talk guy on miami sports radio.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Eric Kuselius has a law degree and he is fucking pathetic. A degree doesn't mean shit in talk radio.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's none of his fucking business what Jones or anybody else wants to write about him. If he has a problem with it after it's printed, he can take it up with Jones at that time.

And speaking of nutcases....take your "pimp" chatter somewhere else, asshole.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, like anyone would care to know about this Podunk copy editor who's chained to a desk five nights a week. I could use my real name and still no one would know who the heck I am. So what's the point?

On the other hand, you Jason ...

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Boog is great, really a breath of fresh air and he knows his shit. Interacts well with callers, a credit to that medium.

7. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

No offense buddy, but you've "put off" a person or two on this site yourself.

As for the criticism of Le Batard -- whether professional or personal -- I'm willing to guess there's a bit more jealousy involved there than when someone takes a shot at some 20-something beat writer in Gainesville.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Boog's very good, but he has, through osmosis seemingly, grabbed a chunk of Le Batard's arrogance and condescension toward callers. You should hear the certitude with which he and his drive-time buddy dismiss the impact/existence of a) coaching, b) steroids, c) team chemistry and d) clutch players. With steroids, Boog has his bread buttered by MLB and DLB is a Bonds sycophant. With the other items, they proudly proclaim that if there isn't statistical proof of its existence, it doesn't exist.

The best sports radio in the area, by far, ever, was when Boog was just starting off with Chris Moore. Moore is knowledgeable, funny and has NONE of the airs that any of these guys have. I wish he were still here. With Moore as Boog's mentor, he knew how to handle people, especially those in dissent with his opinion.

I think they went from 1996 till 1999 and I would make up excuses to miss work to listen to them from 1 till 4.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Why is it that people think it's jealousy that drives someone to criticize? I love Whitlock's stuff, but given his status, you would think I'm jealous and rip him -- but I don't do that. Ditto Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Isn't it just possible that we rip on someone because we don't like their work?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Seriously, I guess I missed all the rips on this board against the thousands of OTHER sports journalists who have had greater career success monetarily than I have.

11. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

EXACTLY. That was exactly my point three or four pages ago.

Now go into a thread regarding one of this site's precious young f-ing studs and criticize them and see what kind of response you get.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I listened to Boog regularly circa 1997-99, when he was doing Marlins games with Joe Angel, and he was a much needed, temperate voice for that network. Remember, back then Neil Rogers -- Miami's restrained version of Stern and with a few twists -- and Hank Goldberg both had afternoon shows. (I do not know whether either still does, but I do know Hank's the same way on press row -- in contrast to his cuddly fat guy persona on ESPN). Add to that back-to-back doses of syndicated Ferrall and J.T. the Brick and that made for some turbuent radio. Hell, even Warren Cromartie had a show on that network back then. There was a summer when Goldberg and Rogers were each suspended for a week, just at different intervals. The funny thing was that Neil hated Hank's guts and vice-versa, and they'd each slam one another on their shows.

Boog was a guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball and the sport's trends, came across the airwaves as the thoughtful guy on the patio with a beer in hand carrying the baseball conversation and engaged in such manner with his callers. I never heard the dude rip anyone. His football knowledge was limited, but that was understandable. It wasn't his cup of tea.

Jim Mandich /should/ have had a talk show -- he would fill in as I recall -- because in talking with him, he's as lucid as they come for a color guy. Even if he's one of the most unabashed homers in his industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted