1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bastard on PTI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

This site is the best. If someone criticizes a kid like Darlington or Maese or some "fucking stud" like that, they're just jealous haters. But this thread can exist and people just keep piling on.

Like everyone, LeBatard has his shortcomings. But he's an exceptional writer and reporter ... probably in the top one percent in this business. But keep piling on.

And no, I'm not friends with the guy ... never even met him.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

DLB, I didn't know you mixed it up on here.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

how do you know his girlfriend doesn't do his writing along with his dirty work?

4. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Maybe because he's been kicking most of our asses in Florida for like 15 years ... doubt he's been dating her that long.

And I also don't know that Jones' story is proof of anything. He BELIEVES Le Batard put his girlfriend up to it. Well, that's some fine reporting there. Isn't it possible that he mentioned it to his girlfriend, and she took it upon herself to help her man?

The whole thing doesn't even make sense. Does anyone think Le Batard needs to do anything backhanded to report on Ricky Williams? Geeeesus! Everyone rips him for being the guy's shill, but now he needs to double-cross people for access? At least be consistent with the ripping.

5. If true, and I don't believe it, I say good for Dan and the Herald. Who wants to get scooped?
    Just sounds like a guy working his corners. That's why I don't even let my h*** speak to other pimps without checking with me first.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he doesn't go to Australia himself, yeah, he might poke around to see what someone found out. It's not like Le Batard was there to report first-hand on the guy.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

dan, i was only kidding. settle down

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Was he trying to see the draft to avoid getting scooped or was he trying to protect his "friend".

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Actually, I have switched to your viewpoint. I haven't watched PTI in a few months and probably won't start again until football season.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

I don't think I made myself totally clear. When Ricky told Dan I was working on the story, he also told Dan that he had spoken to me about their relationship and that I was going to write about it. I assumed -- sorry Ira, I wasn't going to call up his girlfriend to suss out her motivations -- that Dan was worried about what I had written and wanted to find out what it was; I never thought for a minute that he was afraid he was going to get scooped. How am I scooping him on Ricky? But who knows?

All I know is:

1) His girlfriend lied to get early access to the story.

2) She wouldn't have had a clue we were working on it, except that Ricky told Dan, which means that Dan told her.

And if you want to believe that she then took it upon herself to get a copy of it, great. Maybe that's true. I'm just a little more cynical than that, and I've been wrong before.

As for Whitlock -- dude, I've never met Dan. No motivation to lie. And if by chance he was afraid of being scooped:

1) He should have gone to Australia (too bad they had their falling out over Dan's writing the retirement story earlier than they had agreed, according to Ricky).

2) He should have written about what it was like to travel with Ricky when the two of them went to Spain together. Of course, no doubt Ricky never smoked up in front of Dan, not in the all the days and days they spent together, so there probably wasn't much to write about.

I would hate to make any more assumptions.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A very special case, since we're talking about DLB's very, VERY special pet . . .

12. well, if he was under the impression that you were going to write about his relationship with ricky, then i really don't blame him for wanting an early look at the story, especially if you never contacted him.... that's a different motivation. i didn't think you were making the tv-phone call part up. i was skeptical of the motivation. but now that you've elaborated on the motive, it sounds perfectly plausible and in my mind justifiable. but, again, i work my corners a little differently. you'd have had to get written permission from me to even speak to one of my workers. you can't serve two pimps. that's rule no. 1 to this game.

Draft saved Draft deleted