1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bastard on PTI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Looks like Kornheiser agreed with you all. In today's opening, after DLB opened up and they cut to Tony, he said it didn't matter anyway since whoever was watching has now changed the channel since they saw DLB. Then he called him the "ratings killer."

I then changed it. But as I went back a few minutes later, Wilbon was on talking about the Bulls. Some kind of vacation.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And Kornheiser only said that after DLB opened the show by saying, "Hey, Tony, do you think soccer fans are excited to see US (using right hand to gesture to himself) break down the World Cup final?"

To which Kornheiser said, "Don't worry about it. After seeing you, nobody's watching anymore." Then he opened with "Welcome, remaining viewers" before the "ratings killer" line.

I didn't need to see the rest of the show. All the humor I needed was in the first 60 seconds.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So the guy with DLB was Whitlock?

Big man, nice suit.

But the two of them were damn deadly dull together.

4. Well, I have to admit. The title of this thread scared me a little bit.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Is there a backstory to the Paige-Mariotti "Around the Horn" feud? Even if you're an occasional viewer, it's obvious those guys HATE each other.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, didn't Mariotti work at the Rocky Mountain News back in the day... I'm guessing that's why they don't like each other...

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

This is sour grapes on my part, but hell, I'm in a sharing mood:

Back when I was working on the first Ricky Williams story for Esquire -- why Dan never went to Australia, I have no idea -- but the two of them spoke, and Ricky told Dan what I was up to.

A little while later, the magazine got a call from this woman -- we only found out later she was Dan's girlfriend -- saying that she worked for a TV station down in Miami, and she'd heard about our story, and she wanted to do a big blowout piece on it, but she would need some time to work on it, so could Esquire please send down a draft version of the story, you know, before it came out, to give her a head start.

We rarely do that anyway, but some investigation by our office revealed the connection, and it was pretty clear to us that Dan had asked her to ask for the story so that he could read it and do who knows that with it. Anyway, she didn't get a draft, and we never heard from her again.

It was all very strange. It reminded me of kids in grade school asking Betty to ask Carrie to ask Nancy if Sarah likes me.

Sarah didn't like me, stupid slut.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow!

Like, holy fuck-caliber wow!!

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

I know, man. Sarah totally missed out.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Oh, f*&#, that's ballsy. Regardless, I wouldn't have sent the draft if someone had paid me.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it ballsy so much as I would call it gutless on DLB's part. Unreal.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not hard to hate either of those guys. In fact, they both revel in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted