1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bastard on PTI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. flanders

flanders Member

I've always thought the stylized pic next to his articles in ESPN The Mag makes him look like Joe Pesci's swingingly gay/transvestite character in JFK ("David Ferrie"). It's highly unsettling.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree. PTI has become shill to me no matter who is on it. And I was a huge fan in the beginning. I'm sure the genesis is in the PTI-ization of other sporting events, frankly, I don't need to see a forced version of PTI at the NBA Finals, etc.

Still love Wilbon, though.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If Guillen knew who he was he would say the same thing about Lebatard.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

He's great. But I still laugh out loud at least once when I watch it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For the record, I've seen DLB's girlfriend. I think she's a Miami sportscaster who is smoking hot. I have no idea if they're still together, but I saw them together at a game a few years back...

I'm sure Ricky Williams is jealous and that probably led to his pot-smoking and "retirement"  ;D

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. Used to watch all the time, now it's almost a parody of it's self but a parody of a parody ian't funny, it's lame. Wilbon takes the show and himself too seriously and Tony doesn't even feign a level of seriousness capable of making the viewer care what he has to say.

[​IMG]

7. Mizzougrad96

TK and Wilbon have great banter on the show because they're close friends... When you take that away it's just not the same...

I wonder how similar shows with very different columnists from the same papers would do...

Poz and Whitlock?
    Plaschke and Simers?
    DLB and Cote?
    Mariotti and Telander?

I don't think any would do very well, although Simers and Plaschke intrigues me.

I think the two columnists have to be very close friends for this to work and to have two big-time columnists from the same paper who get along is VERY, VERY rare... In most markets the columnists hate each other...

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

as much as i like both (cue pm mailbox filled with comments because i like simers' column), neither has made me want to watch around the horn. i'll stick to their columns

9. Mizzougrad96

Simers got fired from ATH for ripping the show in the San Diego paper... I think it added to his street cred... ;D

Plaschke is one of my favorite columnists, but he's pretty dry on ATH.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not a big fan of Bill, but at least he isn't killing the Horn like Duke Castiglione has been doing the last couple of days.

Tony, Tony and Wilbon must return to ESPN very soon.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Mariotti and Whitlock might be a good pairing.

12. Mizzougrad96

It would explain a lot if he was... ;D

I know he's part Cuban. I remember him making reference to that in that ESPN Mag article on Vlad where he autofellates by pointing out that he is one of only a few journalists who speaks spanish...

Draft saved Draft deleted