1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 3, 2007.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Please explain.

2. The Pirates should have tried to move Jack Wilson to Toronto so they could move Sanchez to short and leave Castillo and Bautista at their normal positions. Instead, Sanchez will be forced to play most of Spring at second with Castillo learning and competing at third against Bautista.

When Bobby Cox retires does it even make a blip on the radar in Atlanta?

I believe there will be a new Boston tea party and it involves Red Sox fans wanting to dump Dice-K after he gets pounded by the Yankees.

Artie Moreno should be hoping for Gary Matthews Jr to be guilty, maybe then he'll be able to get out from underneath that payroll killing contract. Poor Vladimir Guerrero.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Why would it not be?

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think the insinuation is Atlanta citizens generally don't care about baseball as much as say, Boston or New York - relying on the playoff ticket sales issue. Either that, or the Braves are such a machine under Schuerholz that he'll just find a way to retool...but that's unlikely.

I can't believe Cox is just 65, either. Yeah, yeah, that's not a sprightly age, but it's not the 80-something he looks.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you honestly believe Sosa's contracts would have a bearing on a Hall of Fame vote?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Here's my $300-million question. At what point will Cubs fans hearts be broken this year?
    A) Quick and easy like last year
    B) Second half dive
    C) Nixed in the last week of the season
    D) Bartman 2007

In my short 24 years I've learned already it's not a question of if, but when it will happen. I'm leaning towards D, personally, I think they'll win the Central but collapse as usual when it counts the most

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When Soriano breaks his leg.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh, and the Pirates will be sub-.500, Delgado was a great player but not Hall of Fame Great, and Sosa will get into the hall after McGwire is eventually voted in.

Did I read it right on SI.com with their Cubs postcard that Kerry Wood has already hurt himself this spring getting out of the whirlpool?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

10. Jesus Christ. Klapisch basically is pulling a Sam Smith -- using a random hypothetical and hoping it stirs up a shitstorm.

Boras put the opt-out clause in there so A-Rod could go to the Mets? ::)

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, that's the way I took it. We've had this discussion ad nauseum, and I believe the criticism of the Atlanta fans is unfair. At any rate, Cox's retirement will be a big deal in Atlanta. Way more than blip-worthy.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If the Pirates have some success and contend for the division, they might have the wherewithal to add a $10 million man via trade. The payroll is around the $40 million range.

This team has some nice parts.

I'm just wondering about Nady's perplexing belly pain and what's up with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted