1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 3, 2007.

1. Even the Royals are interesting this time of year.

Is Alex Gordon the next George Brett by itself is a reason worthy of keeping an eye on the team. Factor in Mark Teahen who was on a tear last year after the All-Star break and that's two storylines worth tracking. Plus I think everyone is curious how Gil Meche will do given his contract.

Every team is interesting this time of year. Its the charm of baseball.

2. Here's my take on the Pittsburgh Pirates

Starting Pitching: Duke - Snell - Gorzellany - Armas - Maholm is a solid group, all have the potential to win 12-15 games if they can stay healthy and offense can be slightly above average.

Bullpen: Torres - Grabow - Marte - Capps - Sharpless - Chacon - Kolb is a good group of pitchers, alittle suspect with Torres coming off the huge appearance numbers and moving to closer (ignore the meaningless September games). I would be worrie if Chacon and Kolb actually make the ballclub but experience could be important on such a young starting staff and some younger guys in the pen.

Starting 8 - Duffy, Wilson, Sanchez, LaRoche, Bay, Nady, Paulino, Castillo looks to be average at best. Duffy is good in the field but doesn't get on base enough, Jack Wilson is one of the most overpaid players in the game (he can't hit), no one should expect Sanchez to hit over .330 but I think he can go for .310 range, LaRoche should help some with the LH stick but will he crumble under the expectations of many, Bay is coming off knee surgery - he could be iffy at the start. Nady is having medical issues with the intestine so I'm not buying his long term value this year but the Pirates could promote star prospect Andrew McCutchen by All-Star break, Paulino has done nothing but hit in the minors like Sanchez so I'm buying his .290 range average and I think we'll see more power from him. Castillo and Bautista have the power ability but their strikezone patience has to get better like Duffy (an organizational theme).

Bench: Cota - McLouth - Hernandez - Doumit - Matos - Bautista is an ok group. Little power or starter quality. If Nady goes down, Doumit or McLouth should get their shot in RF.

I just don't see this team overcoming a slow start by Bay, Nady's health problems, Wilson's blackhole at the plate, and one of the young starters failing or getting injured.

Another 70-75 win season.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Hence we should all stop talking about them and talk about teams that actually have a chance.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nice. Except Maholm is young enough that he probably won't be trade bait and Walker is being converted to third base.

And Flyingheadbutt, just for that, I'm going to keep talking about the Pirates on here all season.

I agree about the Royals, too. Their offense wasn't awful last year and Gordon should be fun to watch if he makes the team opening day. He, first baseman Ryan Shealy and Teahen could make a pretty good heart of the order someday.

But their pitching is brutal. Meche might be ok, but he's leaving the pitcher-friendly confines of Safeco for more of a hitter's park. And there are only two problems with Octavio Dotel closing. One is his lack of health the last two seasons. The other is that he has sucked in previous attempts at closing.

5. I hadn't heard about Walker being converted to 3rd base. That doesn't sound like good news for Freddie Sanchez. Why won't anyone just give him the shot he dererves?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought I read that Sanchez is the every day 2B this year.

7. Pretty sure Sanchez s supposed to be the starting 3rd baseman. Jose Castillo is supposed to start at 2nd and Jack Wilson got into a bit of a brou-haha when he said that Castillo better show up in shape.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hickory, dickory, dock...

[​IMG]

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lately they've been playing Sanchez at second base and working Castillo at third base, where he will compete with Jose Bautista for the starting job.

I'm not really sure why they are moving Walker. Might be more a matter of them liking his progress as a hitter, but not as a catcher.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

When I was working for the Ottawa Lynx back in 1997, I watched Torres arrive, newly demoted, walk into the ballpark through the right-field gate, duck down into the home dugout, walk out the main entrance, hail a cab, and go to the airport, flying home, done with baseball. I can't believe he's still in the game -- unless this is a different Torres, which is possible, I guess.

As for Delgado... I like him as a player and as a dude, but I don't think he's done that something special that makes him a lock. Had he nailed the Triple Crown when he was on track for it (2000?), that might have done it. If something special happens with the Mets, maybe. Otherwise, I think he's just a very good player -- and a self-made one, really. He has pretty limited natural talent, but he works his ass off.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's something strange about all the arm injuries in Pittsburgh's farm system. Now former first-rounder Brad Lincoln's going to be on the shelf for a while. Then, the Nuttings have never been much for precaution and maintenance.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Was Idris Elba seen anywhere near the clubhouse?

Draft saved Draft deleted