1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread Titled IX - play fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Beltran -- 39 HR, 112 RBI, 16 SB, .286 BA, .387 OBP, .631 SLG in 120 games/447 at-bats
    Pujols -- 39 HR, 109 RBI, 5 SB, .320 BA, .422 OBP, .664 SLG in 114 games/425 at-bats

As much as I like Beltran, former Royal that he is, I just don't see how he would be considered MVP when he's surrounded with that stacked lineup while has little protection in the Cards' lineup. And when you consider Pujols has the comparable HR and RBI numbers -- not to mention far better averages -- in fewer games, that would do it for me.

If anyone beats Pujols for MVP, it should be Howard, if the Phillies make it to the postseason.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't get about this discussion. Why should making or not making the playoffs in the NL this season have anything to do with it? It's not exactly like either Pujols or Howard has made their team tremendous, which is no knock on them, it's just the way the league is this year.
    Suppose the Phillies miss the wild card by a game, the game they blew last night. Howard had nothing to do with that whatsoever. It was their useless bullpen's fault.
    It's very difficult to deny a hitter with 50-plus homers an MVP. It's happened (Kiner, Ralph), but not very often. Don't cite steroid era stats on this issue, please.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wild Card? Fuck that.

The Phillies are going all the way, now that they've traded for Randall Simon. Somewhere, David Littlefield is dreaming up an offseason Ian Snell-for-Simon deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2569280

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I never said Jeter would hit more home runs, but his RBIs would be much higher if he was hitting fourth rather than second.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Pujols
    Howard
    Beltran

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Moddy, your Nats pulled off a deal today. Nook Logan for a PTBNL.

Have fun with him. All defense and speed, no hit.

He was in the majors two years ago as the starting CF, but his weak bat had him in the minors this year. Started in AAA, then broke his arm and was sent to AA.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Marlins announcers are saying the Brewers' 0-7 road trip was the worst in club history.

I have a hard time swallowing that one.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I guarantee that the Braves will not lose to the Phillies tonight.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just do what you do every Friday night -- relax your jaw a little. :D

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

But you didn't come over here this Friday.

It's just not the same.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It shouldn't be. The criterium for MVP isn't home runs. There are many ways to evaluate a hitter.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And it just keeps getting worse for the Red Sox.

Papelbon left the game today with a burning sensation in his shoulder.

Draft saved Draft deleted