1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Band - Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I can take the Dave Clark Five in bits and pieces.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

So I am sitting here waiting for Dell to call me back and I decide to Google rock festivals to see what's out there. I find one in Wisconsin where Dennis DeYoung is the opening act. Show tunes in a farmer's field in Wisconsin. Never would've thought. Sponsored by Leinekugel.

Why did Styx break up?

Anyway, he was on Canadian Idol. Has a picture on his website. Is that Mulroney's kid who is the host?

Dave Clark rocks.

www.rock-fest.com

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If I remember my VH-1 Behind the Music viewing correctly, Dennis DeYoung went through a period where he had some disorder where he was ultra-sensative to bright lights in that they made him ill and fatigued. So Styx took some time off to accomodate him. The rest of the band got tired of waiting for him to get better and wanted to go on so they fired him. The rest of the band also didn't want another concept album like Mr. Roboto or Paradise Theater, they just wanted to rock.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Count me among the Kinks fans as well. A co-worker (and friend) always gets pissed at me when I say the Kinks were better than The Who and Led Zepplin. He's a huge Stones fan, so if I really want to bust his chops, I'll say The Kinks were the second best band of the British invasion, behind the Beatles.

5. Boom_70

Ray Davies is very underated. He has some new stuff including blues album that is very good.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Boom, I missed the blues album. What's the title? Do you know how well Dave recovered from his stroke? That has to be 3-5 years ago now, doesn't it?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Another closet Dave Clark 5 fan.

They had the "wall of sound" sound, and I loved the sax and keyboards, uncommon for most British Invasion bands.

"Catch us if you can" is a classic.

And I enjoy the Kinks as well. Who would have thought people of disparate political beliefs could find common ground in music?

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I should make clear that I was asking about Dave Davies, not Dave Clark.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, you can prefer Mountain to The Band but by any objective musical standards, the Band is better. That's not even debatable.

You can prefer Tom Clancy to Cormac McCarthy but that doesn't make Clancy a better novelist. That's not even debatable.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They definitely played the song on more than just that one tour in the 1970s. At the very least, they played it at 'The Last Waltz' concert in 1978.
    The previous posts about when 'The Weight' was or was not played live was about the Grateful Dead, who had their own flood-titled album — 'Wake of the Flood' — in the 970s.

11. Boom_70

Actualy I prefer Web Griffin to Cormac McCarthy.

In the end when it comes to music it's ear that determines who is better. My tastes in music are just not sophiscated enough to fully enjoy the Band.

12. Boom_70

jr - I was out taking my dogs for a long walk, enjoying a cigar and listening to XM radio. As luck would have it almost right after each other I got to hear Mississippi Queen and The Weight. It got me further thinking about your statement of "objective musical standards" and exactly what you meant. Is it how the words are written - the music, the voices? Who establishes these standards that you speak of - the music critics?

Draft saved Draft deleted