1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Band - Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 24, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Levon was awfully good in "Coal Miner's Daughter." That's one fine movie, right Doo?

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

There once was a man from Nantucket....

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Band -- then known as the Hawks -- rocked the shit out of the Dylan '66 album. (Where have I posted this before?)

My post-Band memory was when Robbie Robertson was on SNL circa '91 and he was in a Zydeco/American Indian phase of some sort. He took the stage and his band was dressed like they just walked out of a Mardi Gras parade from a Jim Morrison acid trip.

I was watching it with a girl I had a huge crush on. She was aghast. "What the hell is that? This guy sucks." My music snob friend (as I am) said incredulously, "You don't know who Robbie Robertson is? He was in The Band! They kicked ass!"

She turned to me and asked me if my buddy was fucked in the head. I wasn't as hip to The Band then as I am now, but I knew I liked what I had heard from them to that point and I knew Robertson was a heavyweight worth respecting. I was as offended by her lack of knowledge as he was.

"Nah. Whoever this guy is, he sucks."

I still didn't get any.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You know what I mean!

Mountain is back on the road again and will be doing several Hippefest shows this summer from 07/18/07 thru 08/09/07. The current lineup consists of, The Turtles, The Zombies, Mitch Ryder, Country Joe McDonald, Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals, Badfinger (Joey Molland), Denny Laine (Moody Blues and Wings), Iron Butterfly. .

5. an all-timer. I think Robbie's best song + Danko's best vocal

6. The gum was Beeman's.
    The Band was better than Mountain.
    These are your morning truisms.

7. Boom_70

And we know this to be true -- why ?? Because the great fenian tells us so.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

As the proud owner of music by all of these acts, some even on 8-track, I think I qualify as a Hippie. Flower Power! Groovin'...on a Sunday afternoon...

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Boom,

I typically don't rise to the bait on your political threads because I know it's futile. I just take solace in know that our votes cancel each other out. :)

But even if you're merely doing your usual Boomeresque shit-stirring, I must inform you sir that you've gone waaaaaay too far on this "Mountain is better than The Band" thing.

I like Mountain as much as the next guy. I had "Climbing!" and "Nantucket Sleighride" and "Best of" on vinyl.

But come on dude. There's no comparison between the two, in terms of musicianship. The electric piano bridge in "Nantucket?" Hell, I could play that after a half-hour lesson.

Damn.

Let's talk output. Let's see. Mountain had "Mississippi Queen."

Good song. I'll still crank it on Sirius.

I'm not going to waste my emotional dime on listing all The Band's hits here. You've got Google. Do your own homework.

Think of this an an intervention. I'm just saving you from yourself. (obligatory smiley face so everyone else knows this is in good fun :) ).

spaceman

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The gum was Beemans.

The capital of Djibouti is Djibouti.

These are the facts, your honor, and they are not in question.

11. Boom_70

Why do I have to do my homework? I know the Band body of work. I just prefer Mountain when comparing the two. The Band is a little to soft for my tastes.

You like The Band better, fine by me. I just never understood why people get almost weepy when discussing their breakup.

At least we agree on The Kinks.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

No! You suck! :)

You're right, they broke up. No cause for a federal investigation. They said in the movie why they broke up. I accept that.

And we do agree on the Kinks. They rule.

Although I remain partial to a little Dave Clark Five now and again.

Draft saved Draft deleted