1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Band - Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You sure they didn't sneak one in when you weren't looking?

2. I never saw 'em. I couldn't care less about 'em. I just like checking facts that don't ring true

http://www.setlists.net/?search=true&venue=&city=&state=&month=&day=&year=&songs=The+Weight&submit=Search

3. Johnny Dangerously

Do you know what the capital of Djibouti is?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"The Weight" is on "Before the Flood," a live recording released in 1974, I believe. So the only time in the 1970s they performed it live must have been with Dylan on that tour.

I saw the Band with Eric Clapton in July or August of 1973; they came on first, Clapton joined them for about the last half hour, and then went backstage, got all messed up and sucked for his show.

Robbie Robertson had a broken hand or something but still played guitar that night. It was quite a sight seeing Clapton on stage with RR.

The Band also played at Watkins Glen with the Allman Brothers the following summer, I think, but I did not go.

Love The Band. Levon Helm's drumming really drives them, I think.

I might also be the only person to buy Rick Danko's solo album, which wasn't bad.

5. Johnny Dangerously

I picked it up in the store and thought about it until I realized it wasn't Rick Derringer.

6. micropolitan guy

JD, I knew you had great taste in music, even by accident.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think that Mountain was a better band. Nantuckett Sleighride is a near perfect song.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Kinda like my taste in Omaha eat/drink/be merry establishments. An accident of nothing more than proximity.

9. micropolitan guy

Might be headed back there this year, if surprising early-season trends continue.

Downtown Blond at the Upstream, anyone?

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Favorite Levon Helm trivia: He's the narrator and the guy who hands Chuck Yeager the stick of gum in the Right Stuff.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I love The Band simply put - at their peak the music was amazing. It Makes No Difference would probably be on a Desert Island mix if I had to make one... or I might go the other way and put something at the other end of their musical spectrum, like Ain't Got No Home on it.

I met Levon Helm briefly and got his autograph a couple of years ago. He recorded an album with a band called The Last Hombres and did a tour with them. I caught one of their shows and got everyone in the band to sign the disc. I caught Levon as he was running out the back door while the rest of the band was inside talking to the fans.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

But what kind of gum?

Boom, you made me Google Leslie West. Tour dates say he's playing something called "Hippiefest."

Draft saved Draft deleted