1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Band - Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Missed this the first time around. For me, "The Weight" makes the all-time top 10 list.

And although I imagine most of the hardcores on this thread have seen this, for the under-initiated, here's a website that gives a very complete accounting of the Band with a treasure trove of great pictures.

http://theband.hiof.no/

And I won't even address Band v. Mountain. But, I will give Leslie credit for a great album title: "The Great Fatsby".

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Bump.

Just watched The Last Waltz. Always been a Band fan. Hadn't seen it in awhile. As to the original question: reality.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Missed the first thread and this one (for about the last five or six weeks). Just wanted to say The Band still has younger fans, folks who were born long after their greatest days, their greatest songs.

A friend of mine, the person to whom I turn whenever I need to know something about the music world, burned me copies of "Music From Big Pink" and "The Band" about three years ago. I wore those copies out and bought new copies of each. Then I bought "Stage Fright" and "Rock of Ages" and "The Last Waltz" and just about everything else I could afford.

Still listen to those albums all the time.

Come to think of it, I'll be driving about five hours on Saturday. Think I'll turn those on while I'm on the road. Good driving music through the country in the morning.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Band and The Dead?
    No correlation.
    The Band wrote great songs and played them great. There are so many more Band songs that stand up across the test of time. The Weight, Up On Cripple Creek, The Shape I'm In. No one loves every single artist, but these songs would have hit for anyone who sung them.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There was a great documentary on CBC this week about Canadian pop music in the 60's. They had a segment on The Band's Canadian roots. Maybe that's why Boom hates them. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted