1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The balcony is closed for Roger Ebert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought for sure this was an obit thread.

I can't imagine he's doing well, either way.

3. There was a story in today's Tribune that Roeper is no longer involved with the show, and that it is going to be turned into an "Entertainment Tonight" program in the future. I'll pass.

Even though he can't talk, I'm glad Ebert has recovered enough to write. There are lots of good reviews left in him.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From what I've read on his site over the past few months, it sounds like he's doing remarkably well. He's gone back to write reviews of many of the films he missed while recovering from surgery, while still keeping up with all the new stuff.

At one point in the recent past he said he hoped to return to TV soon (it sounded like he was shooting for late this year, early next) and from the sounds of today's post, he still intends to, though it won't be with Disney.

It sounds like his biggest challenge is getting back to the point where he can speak well enough for television.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope you're right, Pern. But the complexity of the surgeries he underwent had/has me thinking he'll never appear in public again.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A common problem for some working for the Mouse.

7. Maybe not in a speaking capacity, but he appeared at his annual film festival this year in Champaign.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

In a Disney crossover move, Ebert and Roper will be replaced by Boomer and DJ Stewy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Glad this isn't an obit thread.

I've heard he's actually doing OK, he just can't talk.

The show is still good without him. Roeper and Phillips are a great team. Is it Siskel and Ebert? Not by a longshot, but it's still a very good show.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anybody who watches the show knew this was coming ever since they abandoned the thumbs and went with the "Skip it, Rent it, See it" format.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

"The line to see Dark Knight this weekend went BACK BACK BACK for miles!"
    "BOOYA!!!"

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm also glad this isn't an obit thread.

I miss the "two thumbs up" bit. Wonder if it will remain in the lexicon beyond the next 10 years?

Draft saved Draft deleted