1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The axe falls in South Bend

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herky_Jerky, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I don't know of any other cuts in the corporation.

About half of the newsroom cuts were part-timers -- many of whom were basically full-timers.

The design/copy editing staff was cut down so much, that the News side doesn't have enough people to put out multiple editions anymore.

A couple of News reporters and a photog were also let go. And there were a few more as yet unnamed.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, that really saved a lot of jobs.

3. noodles

noodles Member

So what does the newsroom do if it has to produce more than one edition?

What does the sports department do in covering preps when there's no one left to cover preps?

Does this paper exist solely with one local edition filled with nothing but Notre Dame news? How long does that last? A year? Two?

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

A lot of papers have gone to one zone/one edition. Not saying that's good, but it's common.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yup ... the old "cut off an arm to save the body" argument.

Unfortunately, one-armed people tend to be worse off in the long run ... :(

Good luck to all who are affected by these layoffs in South Bend.

6. bizeditor

bizeditor New Member

Those Bastards!!!

7. American Civilian

American Civilian New Member

They've been bleeding for five years. South Bend is the home base. While the news product suffers, there's been time to release glossy "Racing Towards Diversity" magazine ... NASCAR was supposed to be the big advertiser but then 2008 happened.

My favorite content in the chain is from Bloomington, where the basketball recruiting coverage while no Frank Burlison when he was doing it in Long Beach, maybe second only to Jody Demling in Louisville in terms of a paper being able to compete with the 'fan sites.'

Draft saved Draft deleted