1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ax falls on my shop, Part 156

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 29, 2009.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Everyone in the newsroom takes an 8 percent paycut. Couldn't do furloughs because we literally wouldn't be able to put out a paper if that happened. This comes after we had two rounds of layoffs over the last 6 months.

Kicking myself that I didn't start on grad school apps in the winter. And I worked a 14-hour day today. Yay life!

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I don't mean this as a threadjack, Walter, but as something that goes along with your theme (best of luck, by the way, and hang in there, if that's what you plan to do) ...

I just received the following e-mail in response to a group e-mailing from APSE calling for a small newspaper exchange:

The Phoenix, a small suburban daily newspaper, in the Philadelphia market - owned by Journal Register Company - will be moving to a weekly as of June 19, and hence cutting nearly the rest of its staff ... I being one of them!

It has been great being a member of the APSE family, and wish all of you continued health and success.

Thanks!

Jason Feather
    Sports Editor (soon to be former)
    The Phoenix

I'm no different than anyone else. As I type this, the final few hours of my furlough tick off. Nonetheless, good luck, Jason and everyone at The Phoenix.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That sucks, Walter. I'm with you, for what it's worth. We just got whacked 10 percent.

Keep the faith, brother.

Draft saved Draft deleted