1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The average American

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 14, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just checked a couple of optimal body weight calculators. For a 5-9 male, it's 145-160 pounds. I checked it for my height. Wish I hadn't.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Damn. That suggests it's slightly lower for someone who's 5-8. I've been fixated on the BMI being less than 25. (46 pounds down, 4 to go!)

Oh well. Gives me something new to aim for once I reach that goal.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you are that close -- and great work BTW -- throw the BMI out the window. It is a good guideline but, like anything else, obsessing over a specific number where you are good at 24.5 but bad at 25.5 is not healthy. A study released a few years ago said the group that lives the longest is the one that's slightly overweight according to BMI.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, I know. It's an improvement no matter which way you look at it. But I could stand to drop a few more, so I'll keep doing what I've been doing. (A stunningly simple combination of eating less and doing more. Who'da thunk it?)

5. LongTimeListener

Yes but you did not stimulate the economy by spending $2,000 on a "program" with a "coach" and a "chemical analysis" of your diet. So your self-discipline and common sense are for naught.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I bought a softball glove, though. Does that count?

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I can say I'm not the average American, because I eat a hell of a lot more read meat than that in one year.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

This thread makes me want to eat a Klondike bar. Be right back...

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Get one for me?

10. LongTimeListener

I got confused and thought I was reading the Palin-Rice thread.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Oh, I accidentally bought the ones with Oreo in them. Even better. I'll mail you one, you live in Siberia right?

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I got confused and thought I was reading the Palin-Rice thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted