1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The average American

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 14, 2011.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Check this chart.

First thought? That's a lot of dairy. I'm guessing mostly as a component to things.

Second thought? We eat more vegetables than I was expecting, at least.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Unless Cheetos is a vegetable, I call bullshit on that chart.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Corn syrup consumption is underestimated by probably a factor of three. Corn syrup is in everything that real sugar used to be an ingredient in.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Corn's a vegetable. Maybe they reported some consumption in that category.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That's why I love the Pepsi Throwback...made with cane sugar instead of that syrup crap. Reminds me of the soda from when I was a kid.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And why I scour stores for Mexican-bottled Coke (which is the absolute best) and Jones Soda -- whose cola is pretty good and their root bear is freaking unreal. I'll stumble upon the hippie co-op that sells organic/"all natural" stuff and pick up a few cans of non-HFCS soda.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I mentioned Boylan black cherry soda on the drinks thread. Had one tonight. "Cane sugar," baby, prominently on the label.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I call bullshit based on the fact that it's measured in straight pounds. Non-cheese dairy, fruits and vegetables are to a large percentage made up of water, right? So their weight percentage of the whole is misleading, compared to foods that are dense, like meats and cheeses.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We are through the looking glass when SUGAR REAL SUGAR!!!! is promoted as the healthy alternative.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I want to know where the data comes from and how accurate.

But what struck me most wasn't what foods it says people eat. It was how overweight the average male and female is for those heights.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ragu, the sources are listed at the bottom. Probably the only way you gauge the accuracy is to conduct your own study, but in the absence of that, I'm willing to accept it as pretty accurate. Seems like I've read somewhere that the line of demarcation for overweight/acceptable weight in a person who is 5-9 is 160 pounds. So the average American male is 30 pounds overweight? If you believe all the information being pushed out on obesity as an epidemic, then that level of overweightedness isn't difficult to believe.

FWIW, corn is included in the vegetable category. Similarly, beverage milks are included in the non-cheese dairy category.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd be curious what the median height/weight is. Because there is much more room to be overweight than there is to be underweight. You get 5 males who are 5-9, and they are 155, 160, 170, 175 and 325, and all of a sudden your "average" weight is 200.

Draft saved Draft deleted