1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Avengers"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dick,

Do you generally like Superhero movies? I know you didn't like Dark Knight Rises either...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. I've tried. I've really, really, really tried. Because the rest of the world thinks they're awesome blossom. But I just can't get into them. And I mean I. Have. Tried.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's funny because if you asked me, I would tell you I don't like them and I don't want to see them and then eventually I see The Avengers which I thought was pretty good... and I really liked the Spiderman reboot and Dark Knight Rises...

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My top three recent comic book movies:

1. Batman Begins
    2. Iron Man
    3. X-Men 2

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's baffling, but I can't call it elitism, because, well, you like Adam Sandler.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I didn't care much for The Dark Knight Rises or any of the other superhero stuff I really wanted to enjoy. I did like Iron Man, but I love RDJ, so that might be why. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy The Avengers, and I knew next to nothing about the back stories. I thought it was fun, funny, and I didn't spend too much time trying to close plot holes in my mind. But I also didn't think that Whedon and the gang tried to do too much, like The Dark Knight Rises. I was rolling my eyes throughout that movie. When you don't feel like you're supposed to take something so seriously, it helps take your mind off plot-related infractions.

7. printit

printit Member

Team movies are tough because it's difficult to get people invested in so many characters. Which is why I wish they hadn't tried and just skipped all of the introductory crap. Did we need a 5-10 minute scene with Black Widow beating up the Russian general for people to get that she (Black Widow) is a bad ass fighter? I think those scenes were annoying for people who know the characters and not nearly clever enough for people who don't.

8. printit

printit Member

Disgree. You should read Planet Hulk. And Thor is the most useless character by a mile.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Disagree on Black Widow. The comic fans obviously know who she is, but she's not a mainstream character. She also hadn't been seen since Iron Man 2. It didn't hurt to have her reintroduced. That scene was pretty fun and well-done, so it didn't take me out of things at all. If anything, it helped liven up the pace early in the movie.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

And I don't want to hear about any remake without Joanna Lumley, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think I got my first erection as a kid thinking about Diana Rigg as Emma Peel. YOWZA!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014

12. +1 on Thor.

Draft saved Draft deleted