1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The AV Club's introduction to Rush, the biggest cult band in the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

http://www.avclub.com/articles/an-introduction-to-rush-the-biggest-cult-band-in-t,101005/1/

Very well done, I thought, as a Rush fan. The early stuff, aside from Working Man, is really, really difficult to like at first. I like the idea of Permanent Waves as a strong entry point.

Also, this post is a clear invitation for Buck to post pics of nerds.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed, Cosmo ... as a fellow Rush nerd fan.

No doubt that Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures is a good starting point for the uninitiated, although I might switch the order.

It's not relevant anymore with CDs/online music, but side 1 of Moving Pictures packs a punch immediately, while side 2 slowly grows on you.

For me personally -- because of my age -- Grace Under Pressure was the first Rush album I heard. Then a friend with an older brother loaned me the 2112 tape, and it was all over ... although I did NOT rush out and pick up Ayn Rand books. :)

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Dammit Buck, no outing!

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why not "A Farewell to Kings" or "Hemispheres"?

The former for the stellar title track ... couldn't tell if that was Alex Lifeson or Steve Hackett playing the intro. The latter? "La Villa Strangiato," which is all that need be said.

(If you have to start with "Permanent Waves," one could do much, much worse. But too late in the catalog, though I never was into the first three albums, either. From "2112" on, though ... )

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I was 12 when Signals came out and that was my starting point. Truly underrated album. I also related to the song Subdivisions very strongly at that point in my life, moving into middle school and the changing social dynamic it brought. Not a good time to be a physically immature but cerebral, introspective kind of kid in a douchy suburb. That album definitely provided a comforting outlet at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted