1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic: 'The case against high school sports'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The problem isn't having high school sports, the problem is when high school sports get built up into something other than a recreational activity, to the point where it supersedes the real priorities, which is educating the kids.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So basically, getting kids to work hard to excel at anything is good for them, so sports are good, but it is a little weird how important they are to us over other activities.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could make the argument that sports is part of the education.

4. Boom_70

Maybe newspapers should give up on the local sports section and start covering
    the science dept.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is a little bit there about the psychological toll, but it muddies the argument she should have explored: Is spending on sports justified in 2013, considering current budget issues?

That's the question, and it's a really, really good one. I have no interest in the moralizing about art and music compared to sports, or about trophies in the hallway.

6. Dick Whitman

If I ruled the world, 90 percent of high school sports coverage would be gone, most likely. It's almost all filler. This would be an especially easy decision to make at a newspaper that cover multiple communities.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do folks think of this statement?

In practical terms, I don't think it's true. Too many folks like shotglass would argue to include organized sports in our new educational system, regardless of the arguments against it.

In theory, I agree with it. While schools should instruct students in physical fitness, there's no real reason for them to sponsor anything but intramural sports.

School sports are convenient, since the players are already assembled, and can begin practice right after school lets out. And, the practicality, and cost, associated with playing sports outside of a school based system will likely lead to fewer kids participating in team sports.

And, while I think team sports can provide valuable lessons, help forge lifelong friendships, and can be great fun, that doesn't mean schools should be the organizations that sponsor them.

If you were charged with reforming education in America, would you include team sports?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True, but not the most important part. With a lot of these towns, there's the feeling that if the football team went away, the town will die. Which is why, in these towns, priorities are messed up.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are there folks here who go to their local HS football games, even though they have no connection to any player on the team? (For non work purposes, obviously.)

It's just not something I would even consider.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I try to go to a HS football game a couple times a month. I've been to two this season. One was to see the No. 1 recruit in the country, who plays down the street from my house. The other was to see a couple kids who are going to Virginia Tech next season. Both games were within a 10-minute drive.

I also try to get back to my high school once or twice a year to see a game, mainly to connect with old friends I haven't seen in a while.

11. Boom_70

I go but I guess I'm a football junky. Friday night lights. The town I live in is lucky to have a high quality team that is fun to watch. The run Tony Franklin Spread O. Get about 80 -85 offensive plays. My nephew plays but I would go anyway even if he didn't.

12. Dick Whitman

No. I would imagine that there is a black hole in attendance between ages 21 to about 40 or so. I do plan on taking my son to some games soon enough. I know that my dad used to go to watch games at my hold high school on Friday nights after we were out of the house.

But your point, building on my point, I think, is well-taken. I think that newspapers obsess about high school sports way more than actual people do, other than those already in the seats.

A few years ago, we flipped out here - and I was one of the flippers - about the incredible shrinking newspaper sports section. In hindsight, it was the right call. People don't much care about high school sports any more, and they get a large percentage of their regional and national news from ESPN, talk radio, and specialized Web sites like MLB Trade Rumors. (It is not lost on me that a lot of the content on those Web sites originates with newspaper reporting. I don't think it should go away. There should just be less filler. Resources are too scarce. And high school sports are mostly filler.)

Draft saved Draft deleted