1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic: 'The case against high school sports'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I will jump in with some thoughts later this evening. My first is how odd it is that she felt compelled to grant high school athletes anonymity.

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/the-case-against-high-school-sports/309447/

2. Dick Whitman

For the record, I think playing a sport hurt my grades in high school. Just too much time. I know this is probably a minority opinion, but the story posits it, and I think it is worth taking seriously.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My grades went up in season. Every year.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Me too. My time was more structured, and I knew when I had to study, and get homework done.

When I wasn't playing a sport, I had too much free time, and procrastinated.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That was the same with me.

And having read that article, what a pile of scorched earth shit. The premise goes like this: Some schools take sports too seriously. Immigrants are surprised schools take sports seriously. Let's get rid of sports, but it's cool, because you see I used to PLAY sports. I have credibility.

What an ass. Just because some schools choose not to find the right balance doesn't mean sports suck.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The argument for High school sports is essentially the same argument for tax payer financed pro sports stadiums.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not only that, but I went to high school with a bunch of guys who only stayed in school --- and kept their grades up --- to play football.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For certain individuals, lessons learned through sports experience have direct carryover into adult life, IMO.

For others, those connections are more marginal and for many may in fact be negative. As with pretty much all human endeavor, YMMV.

That said, if the American educational system was being redesigned from the ground up, no way in freaking hell would competitive sports (especially team sports) be part of the high school or college curriculuum. They would very properly be offloaded to club organizations. Schools would continue to offer (actually, require) phys ed in terms of general fitness, and that would be it.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Going to actually try to support that or are you just trolling?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With what high school sports have become, I'd be pretty happy if they went away or at least were not funded by the school budget. They aren't the center of social life anymore (especially in big cities), the schedules have gotten too scattered with midweek games and thus have become counterproductive to homework, and the competition level is low and getting lower because anyone with a decent chance of playing college sports is either not playing in high school or playing it as a lark while concentrating on the club team and the showcase circuit.

High school sports is no longer what we remember it to be.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. At least the headline admits she is making a case rather than trying to be fair and balanced, because she clearly went out of her way to bury any opinion that opposes her view.

12. Dick Whitman

I looked it up. No discern able grade difference during the spring. I think I was just generally overextended all year long between the newspaper, baseball, and my job. Probably learned some lessons that an A in physics couldn't have replaced, though, in the process.

Draft saved Draft deleted