1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic runs "sponsored" piece by Church of Scientology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This makes me sad. Sure, there's a label (though not a large one). But other than that, it looks exactly like an Atlantic piece in the way it travels across the Web. The headline says "David Miscavige Leads Scientology to Milestone Year."

I sure thought The Atlantic was better than that.
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow, that is horrible.

All you have to do is paste that link into a facebook account and it looks like the real thing. You cannot find it off of the front page of The Atlantic, but I am pretty sure they want the link, not the content traveling from the home page of The Atlantic.
  3. printit

printit Member

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Seriously, is The Atlantic this desperate for money? What an embarrassment.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It has been taken down and replaced by this message, "We have temporarily suspended this advertising campaign pending a review of our policies that govern sponsor content and subsequent comment threads."
  6. 93Devil

Good, because that was a friggin disgrace.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 93Devil

Still there when I click it.
  8. The Big Ragu

Clear your web browser's cache and I suspect it will be gone when you click it.
  9. Here's a timeline of how it went down....

I would have thought this whole thread was a parody if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Incredible.
  10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm wondering now: How many people have to be laid off nationally before you folks realize this is a business, and a struggling one? I'm not saying the execution here was ideal, but my gosh, you're all still pretending you live in fantasy journalism land.
  11. The Big Ragu

Good businesses have business practices that don't do anything to make people question the products they sell.

The Atlantic is a 150 + year old magazine that aims itself at an audience of "thought leaders" by providing in-depth, often investigative articles about politics, foreign affairs, economics and cultural trends.

The question isn't a debate people were having 20 years ago about advertorials. The question is whether this kind of advertorial is probably more harmful to the reputation of the Atlantic than the revenue is worth.

Apparently, they realized that it is -- too late. Which is why they pulled it.

The Atlantic has had a really good run. They took a dying magazine and revitalized it, in part, because they understood how to generate digital advertising revenue. They understand that advertising revenue drives profits. so the post about a fantasy journalism land doesn't belong here. What they lost sight of with this one is why it is important to have some kind of standard when you're that kind of magazine. You can't make it just about the revenue, when that revenue comes at the expense of undermining the actual product in a way that costs you some of the reputation that brings in readers in the first place (and you are selling those readers to advertisers, so you need them).
  12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted