1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic on Dr. Kermit Gosnell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then treat it like a murder case, not a referendum on abortion.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So we should treat Sandy Hook as a murder case and not a referendum on gun rights, no?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The point is it's not being "treated" as anything.

And anyone can answer my question. I'm guessing there are a couple posters around here interested in the coverage of news.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, cover it like a mass murder case.

Humanize the victims.

I've heard from the relatives of Sandy Hook victims. They have media reps, are flying around on Air Force 1, and will be giving the President's Saturday address tomorrow.

Have you heard from any of the relatives of these victims? Who speaks for them?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope, because anyone can randomly be killed by a gun. Hence my post from earlier. I'm not going to be randomly aborted.

Someone else's gun can affect me directly. Someone else's abortion cannot.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The victims weren't aborted. They were murdered.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You realize these babies were murdered, not aborted, right? Words mean stuff.

Or is the liberal trash around here so far gone they have no problem with a doctor murdering newborns?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, help me understand where you're coming from, YF.

I absolutely agree -- this is a murder case. These are babies that were born alive and then murdered, it particularly horrible and barbaric ways.

So.... what is it about this case that is triggering the "outrage" about the coverage? Are you really going to pretend it's not an abortion issue?

And the comparisons to Sandy Hook are absurd, and if it weren't for the obvious political points involved no one would compare them. And yes, there's a big fucking difference between reporting the details of a shooting and reporting the details about a guy who murdered babies by butchering them with scissors.

And YGB, the answer to your question is at least as far as TV is concerned, there are stories that are too horrifying to cover well in an evening newscast. Like I said earlier, I would do it in print or on the web, but not on TV.

9. PCLoadLetter

Honestly, AQB, I've never had an issue with you, but if you can't do better than that, go away.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The thing is, abortion has become such a back-burner issue in the body politic, to the consternation of some. That's not to say this barbarian's case shouldn't be covered more, maybe it should. But clearly, for some, giving the abortion issue a bump is a motivation for the "outrage," not some "think of the babies" sentiment. All I know is, if FNC is just now covering it, it's funny that it's not getting nailed here.

11. PCLoadLetter

I can tell you that online, they have two stories played very prominently on the front page about how the media isn't covering the story, drawing the ire of pro-lifers (odd, for a story that has nothing to do with abortion).

They do not have a story on the front page on the case itself.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If anyone ever asks me why I'm not a liberal, this thread will be the first thing I show them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.