1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic Monthly on the future of the NY Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 13, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200901/new-york-times

It didn't say a ton I haven't seen talked about on here. I am mostly interested in what others think. But a few graphs popped out at me.

It predicts that a lot of cities won't have a print newspaper by this year or 2010. And it predicts a digital-only strategy eventually for the Times, and then adds this:

That seems like the major problem for newspapers, in general, even the ones that were quicker than the Times to embrace the internet.

This graph also made me cringe a little, and I am sure it will hit traditionalists even harder than it did me:

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Poynter posted a response from the Times

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13765

I cringed, and then shuddered at the thought of the Huffington Post being called the future of journalism. I don't understand why so many supposedly smart people are hooked on Huffington.
    One of the Chicago alt-weeklies did a big long thing on how the Chicago version of Huffington Post was simply ripping off copy. Just copying and pasting and running the reviews like they were the ones who wrote them.
    Try that in print, and you get laughed off out of the room. Much like the Texas weekly did. Do that on the interweb, and you get called a genius.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That was a good response by the Times. The only reason people will abandon the print product of the Times is the same reason they abandon other print papers. If the staffs continue to get slashed as well as the page counts and the product continues to weaken of course readers will abandon the print edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted