1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic: How Many of Your Memories Are Fake

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Active Member

Thought this was appropriate to share on the journalism board given the obvious implications--discussed in the article--for journalism.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/how-many-of-your-memories-are-fake/281558/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For instance, I remembered Dick Whitman posting this.

3. kv18schn

kv18schn New Member

There is a really great novel based on "fake memories" by Julian Barnes called "The Sense of an Ending". Chilling read that has nothing to do with this topic but is worth the read.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read something similar to this in either Esquire or Details several years ago where they had a video of something happening and they asked four people for their accounts of what happened. The four versions were incredibly different and all inaccurate, but all of them passed lie detectors showing this was how they remembered it and not anybody embellishing or making anything up.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

You THOUGHT you read that.

6. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i just watched some crime show about 'false memories' two nights ago. of course, i can't remember the name of the show...

Draft saved Draft deleted