1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic: How it made money

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Dec 12, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The key is, would this work on a larger scale?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/business/media/13atlantic.html

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Wow. The Atlantic making a profit. Without absolutely any sarcasm, that has to be the most surprising thing I've heard this month.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not really revolutionary. Just slash costs until you make some money.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't read it that way. I read it as a change of strategy that incorporated, among other things, three things a lot of other smaller publishing companies are doing. 1) Keep your print product intact, but create a separate online product that leverages your brand name. They are cheaper to maintain. (although to drive traffic, they went out and signed up a lot of big names to blog/write). 2) Don't keep everything separate. A dollar of advertising revenue from online content is just as good as a dollar of revenue from the print product. Make sure your sales people sell it all (many places still try to sell them separately) and in tandem. 3) Online branded conferences, using the Atlantic name, which has proved a great source of revenue (and a life saver) for many smaller niche brands.

The story is great -- considering what a sieve the Atlantic was -- but I am certain it is a formula that is only replicatable to a certain extent. The Atlantic has several things going that many small publishers of niche magazines don't. It is a very old brand name that has a loyal following with a tasty demographic for advertisers. That said, good for them!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's nice to read a positive success story once in awhile.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As opposed to a negative success story?

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It could happen.

"Calipari finally claims elusive NCAA title"

Draft saved Draft deleted